CVS CASE STUDY
1. The cycle of capability lists eight areas that should be considered; employee referrals
of potential candidates, careful employer and customer selection, high quality
training, well designed support systems and
Scarborough College, University of Toronto
Midterm Test #1: Sample2Answers
Time Allowed: 50 Minutes
This total marks in this test are 50. The test is divided into two parts:
Part I - problem format - is worth 40 marks (80% of the total mark of 50)
Communication in Teams
The success of an organization depends on the incorporation of team work
among employees. Team work leads to a high performing organization.
What is a team?
Communication in a team
65. (p. 330) Constructive conflict exists:
A. when the conflict is viewed as a personal attack on each person in the relationship.
B. only when an employee disagrees with his or her supervisor regarding how to construct or
organize the job activities.
68. (p. 330) Constructive conflict:
A. is the opposite of task-related conflict.
B. encourages employees to re-examine their basic assumptions about a problem and its
C. is one of the dysfunctional outcomes of conflict. D. is
the most c
74. (p. 330-331) Which of these is NOT a strategy identified by the conflict management experts as
something that might reduce the level of relationship conflict during constructive conflict episodes?
A. Emotional intelligence B.
Supportive team norms C.
71. (p. 330) Which of the following best describes relationship conflict? A. One
party perceives that another party might oppose its interests.
B. The conflict is between two individuals rather than departments or organizations.
C. The conflict episodes a
77. (p. 332) In the conflict process, what immediately follows conflict perceptions and emotions? A.
Sources of conflict
B. Manifest conflict
C. Conflict outcomes
D. Conflict management
E. Both 'C' and 'D' immediately follow conflict perceptions and emoti
80. (p. 332) The conflict process model includes: A.
B. sources of conflict. C.
D. conflict outcomes and conflict emotions, but not sources of conflict.
E. conflict outcomes, conflict emotions, and sources of conflict
83. (p. 333) Employees in engineering and marketing often disagree with each other mainly because
they have unique backgrounds, experiences, and training. The most apparent source of conflict here
A. task interdependence.
C. goal i
86. (p. 335) Which of the following most likely produces the highest risk of conflict? A.
Ambiguous rules and low task interdependence.
B. Precise rules and resource scarcity.
C. Plentiful resources and high goal compatibility.
D. Scarce resources and hig
59. (p. 348) ADR usually begins with a meeting between employee and employer.
60. (p. 347) Managers should arbitrate decisions when employees cannot resolve their differences alone.
62. (p. 328) The process in which one party perceives that its interests are being opposed or negatively
affected by another party is called:
C. negotiation. D.
E. conflict management.
Understand decision-making in
organisations, including the two broad
types of decisions made by managers
and the potential environments in which
they are made.
Outline the sequential steps in the
26. (p. 334-335) Conflict is more likely to occur between two departments with pooled
interdependence than reciprocal interdependence.
27. (p. 335) Conflict may occur because the conflicting parties lack
141. (p. 333-335) A few years ago, a clothing manufacturer was expanding rapidly so the CEO hired
several executives from other large corporations. Unfortunately, the new executives clashed with the
current executives regarding business strategy. The CEO
38. (p. 340) Resolving differences with the opposing party through direct communication is not as
comfortably applied in collectivist cultures.
AACSB: 3, 5
39. (p. 340) Communication and understanding interventions sh
34. (p. 337) The yielding conflict management style is preferred when both parties have equal
power and enough trust to share information.
35. (p. 337) The preferred conflict management style tends to depend
30. (p. 336) The problem-solving conflict management style involves a high degree of
assertiveness and cooperativeness.
31. (p. 336) The five interpersonal conflict management styles are distinguished by their
42. (p. 341) Conflicts can be minimized by negotiating a collective agreement between union and
management which both parties must follow.
43. (p. 342) Negotiation occurs whenever two or more conflicting pa
50. (p. 344) Negotiators tend to be more competitive and less willing to give concessions when their
audience directly observes the negotiations.
51. (p. 344) Negotiators tend to avoid "hardline" behaviors wh
46. (p. 343) According to the bargaining zone model, the parties should begin negotiations by
describing their resistance point to each other.
47. (p. 343) According to the bargaining zone model, the target
54. (p. 346) In most cultures, making concessions symbolizes a negotiator's motivation to bargain in
AACSB: 3, 5
55. (p. 346) Arbitration has a high level of process control but a low level of decision contr
89. (p. 335) Communication is a potential source of conflict because:
A. two parties tend to use stereotypes to understand each other when they lack the opportunity to
B. ineffective communication often leads to an escalation in the conflict
98. (p. 340) According to research on gender and conflict management styles, women tend to adopt
style, whereas men tend to adopt the
A. forcing, collaborative
B. avoiding, compromising
C. yielding, forcing
D. problem-solving, forcing
126. (p. 332) In the conflict process,
occurs immediately before conflict outcomes.
A. manifest conflict B. conflict
emotions C. sources of conflict
D. conflict perceptions
E. Both 'B' and 'D' occur immediately before conflict outcomes
129. (p. 332) According to the conflict process, which of these is a positive outcome? A.
E. None of the above
Scenario: NewTel, Inc.
NewTel is a telephone company with
131. (p. 330-331) Which of these is NOT a strategy identified by the conflict management experts that
might reduce the level of conflict at NewTel?
A. Emotional intelligence B.
Supportive team norms C.
D. Third-party conflict resolution
Scenario: ABC International
Employees at ABC International have been frustrated with the management on just about everything.
The conflict episodes are viewed by both sides as personal attacks rather than attempts to resolve
problems. Both sides have deci
136. (p. 347) Employees at ABC International appear to prefer which of the following types of thirdparty intervention?
A. Inquisitor B.
137. (p. 347) Generally