Industrial Cities I: Capitalist Modernity In Europe
Coketown: The Industrial City in Europe
Todays question: What was the social and economic impact of capitalist industrialization on the
Western European city, 1750-1900?
Sam Bass Warner, The segregated city in S.B. Warner The URban Wilderness. A History of
the American City (New York: Harper and Row, 1972), 85-112.
Archtypical city of the era of the second period of industrialization: mechanized facitory,
Thursday March 20, 2014
Empire and colonial order: strategies of control
Dar es Salaam
local control measures
influx control measures
Dar es Salaam
Tanganyika (=Tanzania in 1964)
1885-1918 German East Africa
1918: transferred to
Lecture 6: The segregated colonial city
Todays question: what was the character of social segregation in the colonial city?
Structure: 1) the colonial city: key features
2) Bombay and Calcutta: capitalist colonial cities
3) Colonial segregation: race and
Theme 1: Connection
- The importance of linkages, places are connected to each other.
Theme 2: Capitalism
- The insane rationality of capitalism had urban outcomes in the West, the colonies and the
Theme 3: Class
- Individual options, actions
Thursday, February 13, 2014
Lecture 5: Soviet Cities
- The new Soviet city
- Planning the Soviet city
- Housing the Soviet people
New Soviet City
- Four pillars of pre-revolutionary Russian society:
- Autocratic rule: tsarist
Global Cities in the South: Deepening social and spatial polarisation in Cape Town
Notes contributed by Alexandria Henderson
Key Question: is it possible for a city to be both globally competitive and address domestic
nbThursday January 16, 2014
Lecture 1: Slums, Favellas and Barrios
- Contemporary housing in the global south
- Todays questions: what is the long term trend of urban growth? Why has this occurred? What
are the consequences for housing in the urban south?
Geographies of Urban Social Exclusion and Segregation
May 15, 14
What is Social Exclusion?
A situation in which certain members of a society are separated from majority that compromises the
normal sphere of living and