Soc202 Week 2
What is culture?
Nature vs. Culture?
Survivor Tree (World trade center)
The human body (ideas of a fit body is cultural vs. an healthy body)
The meaning we ascribe or tribute to those things in social context
A plain ba
SOC202 Week 3
Culture and Meaning
Where does meaning come from?
What is the relationship between culture and the social world?
E.g. Video games
Video game contested in what people think about it
Media: Video game violence translates
Facts and Interpretations
- Facts: food is cheaper, more abundant, year round, fresh food!
- More urbanization, less farmers, big agri-business
- Food production, processing and retailing now globalized
- Interpretations: good (more food, less p
The Politics of Gender inequality:
There's about a 26% gap between men and women (depending on which year you're looking at)
We can choose to look at it as a matter of gender difference.
People say theres a gender wage gap bcs women have a n
- Humans have been around for a few million years, our ancestors were able to feed themselves
- Humans have eaten almost anything that flies in the air, swims in the sea, moves on the land,
but can digest around 20 000/400000 plan
Fausto-Sterline: Five Sexes:
She's not claiming that there are 5 sexes. But she's saying that if we do categorize humans into 5 sexes,
that actually doesn't make less sense than categorizing them into 2 sexes.
She's trying to change the conve