January 6, 2015
What is Anthropology?
o Anthropos: man, human
o Logos: study; can mean, to write
- Anthropology is the comparative study of the cultural and biological variation of
humans and their ancestors through time and
Monday, February 22, 2016
- The way that people go about meeting their need for
sustenance has implication for the SOCIAL, POLITICAL, and
ECONOMIC organization of a society
Four Main Categories
Finding what y
Chapter 15 How is Health a Product of Culture?
Example of anthropologist going into a new people culture, unaffected by society
(not true, everything has been affected) and taking blood samples without much
thought about their culture
30 years later, fi
Is Race a Biological Reality or a Social Construction?
Does Race Reside in Similarities or Differences?
- Polymorphic Variation: variation within a population
- Polytypic Variation: variation between populations looking at superficial
Chapter 14 Why Do People Have Such Different Beliefs?
Ritual and Belief
- Religion: ideas & practices that postulate reality beyond that which is immediately
available to the senses something beyond the physical tangible, perceivable
realm. Includes symbo
5 What Does the Fossil Record Reveal About Human Ancestry?
29 January 2016
Deep History and Human Ancestry in Perspective
Carl Sagans analogy:
- History of the universe as a 12 month calendar
- 1 second = 475 years
- Anatomically modern humans appear at 1
What Are the Consequences of How Societies Distribute Resources? Chapter 9 & 10
Modes of Exchange
- Patterns characterizing the primary means by which resources are allocated and
circulate within a cultural group
1. Market Exchange
Chapter 2 Anthropology Notes
Is There Evolutionary Evidence for the Concept of Race?
January 11, 2016
Origin of Species
Long History of Differing Views:
1. Extinction possible / not possible
2. Evolution possible / not possible
3. Nature of change within
How Do We Decide Who We Are Related To?
- Incest Taboo: cultural norm prohibiting sexual relationships between close relatives
o A true human universal
o Kinship determines who your close relatives are
o Incest taboo requires one to look outs
Chapter 4 - How are Humans Related to Other Living Primates?
January 25, 2016
Humans are not descended from apes
Rather, we share an ancestor in common theyre more like our cousins, rather than
descendants our lines diverged at the time, but we dont sha
What Do You Mean Gender is Not Biologically Determined?
26 Feb 2016
Layers of Biological Sex
1. Chromosomal Sex (XX/XY)
2. Fetal Gonadal Sex (testies/ovaries)
3. Fetal Hormonal Sex (hormone production)
4. Fetal Internal Reproductive Sex (internal organs)
6 What is Culture and is it Unique to Humans?
The Green Banana
- Anthropologist went into a field and did research and had a realization
- Encounters a green banana
- The radiator broke down a man in the tribe sends a boy to get a green banana
How is Language a Cultural Phenomenon? Anthro 208 if youre interested in this
Whats the Big Deal About Language?
- Most important way cultures transfer information
o Efficient and over long distances
- Advancements occurs because of communication
- To sha