CHEM 270 Chapter 6 Handout #3
Lets Make Some Alkenes
- Last time we learned about substitution reactions with nucleophiles (Nu:) and electrophiles
(E63) via SN] and 8N2 mechanisms
53 (53 '
(A :Mq N v, N 1? NM -\ U?
CHEM 270 Chapter 5 Handout #1
Fundamentals of Stereochemistry *wtku- 0 " = 3. *
Its All About the Fundamentals
- Stereochemistry is the study of the three-dimensional structure of molecules; no one can
understand organic chemistry, biochemis
CHEM 270 Chapter 4.2 H
Our First New Reaction!
- In this class and up to this point in the semester, you guys have really only seen acid/base
reactions and you should (by now) know pretty well how they work
N39- HNrA sf 53 er
CHEM 270 Chapter 5 Handout #2
Physical Properties of Chiral Compounds and Their Mixtures
Real Life Lab Stuff
Physical Properties of Enantiomers
- In the introduction for this chapter, we saw how important stereochemistry is in nature
and the body, and how
CHEM 270 Chapter 4.1 Handout #2
Study of Chemical Reactions: Kinetics
How Fast Does it Go?
Kinetics is the study of reaction rates
Kinetics tell us which products are formed the fastest, and help us predict how the rate will
change if we change the reacti
CHEM 270 Chapter 6 Handout #1
The SNZ Reaction
The Back-Side Attack is as Awesome as it Sounds
Introduction to Alkyl Halides Anesthetics
- Why are alkyl halldes awesome? H
on 9' 9' c. 9' C E
'9 HcCI ClCIJCl 0|;ch
Cl Cl Cl 3
CHEM 270 Chapter 6 Handout #2
The SN] Reaction and SNl versus 8N2
The SN] Reaction
Unlike 8N2, the SN] reaction has two steps: the leaving group leaves to form an intermediate
carbocation, and then the nucleophile attacks the carbocation
SN] stands for
CHEM 270 - Chapter 7 Handout #1
Alkenes: Introduction and Structure
Alkenes are also known as Olens
- Alkenes are EVERYWHERE and are used for TONS of thingsll
- Alkenes are a common functional group of pheromones among insects
CHEM 270 Chaptelrl Handout #1
Study of Chemical Reacti s: Thermodynamics
Whats Your Energy Level?
- Thermodynamics (theme) is the study of the energy changes that accompany chemical and
- In studying thermo, we can compare the
CHEM 270 Chapter 7 Handout #2
Synthesis of Alkenes
How can we make alkenes?
Alkene Synthesis via Elimination Reactions
- As we just learned at the end of Chapter 6, elimination reactions give alkenes as products by E1
and E2 mechanisms
- The elimination o
Name: _ Section: _
Experiment #15: Activity Series
1. What cation will be in solution when each of the following compounds are dissolved in water?
1. Write a short report describing the process of pork harvest.
Please make sure you include details on the 7 basic steps of harvest (equipment used, procedures,
food safety approach, quality approachetc).
- Pigs wer
Gene Transformation using Bioluminescent Aequorea Victoria
May 6th ,2016
College of Agriculture, California State University Chico
Modern technological advancements including gene transformations, have contributed to
CHEM 29B Laboratory Report Summary Sheet
Name: Lourdez Ramirez
Experiment Number/Title: Exp: 46 Preparation and Properties of Polymers: Polyester,
Nylon, and Polystyrene.
Experimental Data and Observat
CHEM 107-01 Exam 1a
Name _Exam 1a Key_
Lab Sec _
Multiple Choice (65 pts) Read all responses before answering. There is only one correct
response for each question.
Chapter 1 Introduction to Chemistr
CHEM 107-01 Exam 4a
Name _Exam 4a Key_
Lab Sec _
Multiple Choice (54 pts) Allow no more than 27 minutes for this section.
Read all responses before answering. Circle the correct response. There is only
CHEM 107-01 Exam 2a
Lab Sec # _
Multiple Choice (57 pts) Allow no more than 30 minutes for this section.
Read all responses before answering. Circle the correct response. There is only one corr
CHEM 107-01 Exam 3a
Lab Section _
Multiple Choice (66 pts) Allow no more than 35 minutes for this section.
Read all responses before answering. Circle the correct response. There is only on