Dr. Ronn Young
1) Describe the defining features of somatoform
disorders and be able to distinguish the central
diagnostic and etiological features of
hypchondriasis from illness phobia
Chapter 8Sexuality and Gender
1. What term is used for babies born with ambiguous genitals due to a hormone imbalance in the womb?
REF: Page 163
2. Which of th
Chapter 6Social Stratification: Canadian and Global Perspectives
1. What do the statistics provided about the survivors of the Titanic disaster reveal abut social relations?
a. the ineffectiveness of generosity
b. the need for inequality
Chapter 4From Social Interaction to Social Organizations
1. According to the textbook, which of the following people is most likely to laugh more in a
a. Alice, a 20-year-old woman, in conversation with Robert, a 30-year-old
Chapter 1Introducing Sociology
1. Which of the following disciplines is characterized as the systematic study of human behaviour in
d. political science
REF: Page 2
Chapter 5Deviance and Crime
1. Why does the textbook assert that everyone is deviant?
a. because most people break rules and admit that they are deviant
b. because most people are not as good or law abiding as they would have us believe
Chapter 7Race and Ethnicity
1. In the 1920s, Professor Sandiford administered IQ tests. What recommendation did he make based on
a. Canadas education system should especially serve the forgotten gifted learners.
b. Certain rac
1. How does the process of socialization actualize people?
a. It prompts physical maturation.
b. It follows a universal pattern.
c. It unleashes the potential to be human.
d. It creates a moral person.
Chapter 10Religion and Education
1. According to the psychologist William James, religion originates in peoples need to do which of the
a. be intensely sociable
b. be charitable
c. keep busy performing good works
d. find meaning
1. What do sociologists call the sum of ideas, practices, and material objects that people create in order to
adapt to and thrive in their environments?
c. the norm
MYTHOLOGY AND EARLY
M I L LY RYA N - H A R S H M A N , P H D
Before philosophy, there was mythology.
Mythological stories were told to explain how the
world was created, why wars were won or lost,
and even why people became ill. Typi
1. What type of family is composed of a cohabiting man and woman who maintain a socially approved
sexual relationship and have at least one child?
a. nuclear family
b. postmodern family
c. extended family
d. traditional n