Principles of Marketing
Chapter 1 Notes
Define marketing and identify the four factors for marketing to occur
Marketing is the activity for creating, communicating, delivering, and exchanging
offerings that benefit its consumers, the org
READY-TO-DRINK TEA IN SOUTHEAST ASIA
For Case A
1. What recommendations would you offer to Gokongwei regarding his plan to sell readyto-drink tea in the Philippines?
2. Compare and Contrast the Chinese and Philippine beverage markets,
ROAD BUILDING OR ROAD PRICING
1. For a typical commuter, what are the costs and benefits involved in using the car over
using public transport? Why would a commuter choose to drive? Who are the most likely
to drive to work?
2. What ar
1. Levendary Caf: The China Challenge
2. Ready-to-Drink Tea (A) (B) and (C)
3. Nintendos Disruptive Strategy: Implic
L EVENDARY C AF : T HE C HINA C HALLENGE
1. What is your evaluation of the way Levendary Caf has entered the
2. What changes (if any) should Mia Foster make? Specifically, what should
she do about Louis Chen? And what ch
1. If you were to take over SGFE, which product would you choose to push
2. What segment of the market would you favour?
3. How would you advertise your product to this segment?
4. Knowing that the price of
NINTENDOS DISRUPTIVE STRATEGY:
IMPLICATIONS FOR THE VIDEO GAME INDUSTRY
1. Discuss the evolution of the video game industry, particularly in terms of competition and
2. What does disruptive technology mean? What are the pr
AIRASIA: FLYING LOW WITH HIGH HOPES
1. Briefly describe the trends in the global airline industry.
2. Comment on the business-level strategy adopted by AirAsia. How has AirAsia achieved
cost leadership or differentiation?
BEIJING XIAOMI TECHNOLOGY CO: GROWTH VIA ONLINE CHANNELS
1. What channels does the Chinese cellphone market have?
2. What are the advantages of Xiaomis channels over the traditional channels?
3. Why was Xiaomi able to design and deplo