-India: 1953-57, Infections halved from 10.8-5.3% of total population; deaths reduced to zero.
-Sri Lanka: 1946-61: Infections fell from 2.8 million to 110.
-Taiwan: 1945-69: 9 million infections to 9 infections
-The sociological attempt to frame politics sociologically leads to two types of theories most
commonlyPluralist and elite theories.
-Pluralist theories are generally rooted in functionalism.
-Elite theories are generally rooted in conflict theory.
Free Trade and Democracy
- CATJO Canadian alliance for trade and job opportunities
o CATJO funded a media blitz promoting the progressive conservatives and their
free trade policies
o The PCs won w/ 43% of the vote and six we
Ch. 24 Who Rules America MSL
- American upper class must exist as a set of interrelated social institutions
o Patterned ways of organizing lives of its members from infancy to old age
- Upper class persists with littler change over several generations
MSL Ch. 51 Still separate, still unequal
- In 1954, it became law that in schools ppl of racial backgrounds cannot be segregate
- Ppl think that segregation has ended from 30-40 years ago when it was crazy intense, but
it has rather not
- In Chicago, 87%
MSL CH.50 Civilize them with a stick
- Native American children are kidnapped by white people and thrown into boarding
schools where they experience a huge change from their normal environment and social
setting with their own families
- Even if the schoo
MSL Ch.35 The Power Elite by C.Wright Mills
- There are people in society who are not like everyone else (ordinary), they have power so
they can look down upon and make decisions that can affect peoples everyday worlds
- Jacob Burckhardt said about great
Technology and the Global
TECHNOLOGY: SAVIOUR OR FRANKENSTEIN?
On August 6, 1945, the United States Air Force dropped an atomic bomb on Hiroshima. The bomb killed
about 200 000 Japanese, almost all of them civilians.
We may call the peri
17.1 THE RIOT IN ST. LEONARD
- Riot occurred September 10th, 1969
- St. Leonard riot recognized as turning point in Quebec history
- Riot ultimately ended in Bill 101
- Bill 101:
o French is language of public administration
o Businesses w/ 5