Questions & Listening Responses
Minimal cues & leads
Client: I need an operation but cant take the tim
It is important to understand who you are so that you know your own values and can connect better with your clients
Self: The sum total of who a person is (how they got there)
Self-concept: An acquired set of thoughts, feelings, attitudes, and beliefs tha
NSE12B WEEK 4
The Process of Aging
1. Describe the physiological, psychosocial and cognitive changes associated with aging.
Physiological changes (refer to Table 25-1 on page 384)
o Facial wrinkles, grey hair, loss of body mass in the extremities, increa
Week 10 Learning Objectives
Discuss the clients need for a safe, comfortable and hygienic environment and how this need
affects decisions about the use of equipment and bed making.
Demonstrate approaches to occupied and unoccupied bed making.
Potter & Perry (P & P), pp. 75-85, 797-816.
Define evidence-informed practice and its value to primary nursing practice.
That which tends to prove or disprove something; ground for belief; proof
Something that makes plain or clear; an i
1. Describe the factors that influence personal hygiene.
*Personal Hygiene affects an individuals comfort, safety and physical and psychological
well-being. Individuals who are well are cable of meeting their own hygiene needs, but
those who are i
NSE12B Week 3 Objectives
1. Define and identify various forms of client abuse across the lifespan.
Child Maltreatment: violence, emotional or sexual mistreatment, or
neglect of any child or adolescent
o more children suffer from neglect than any other fo
NSE-12: Week #6
Preparation for clinical practice
Weekly Objectives: (clinical objectives)
1. Discuss the CNO reflective process.
Reflective practice: formal process that help nurses maintain
competence, despite the continuous changes in healthcare
Complete Learning Objectives-READDDD
15 minute presentation -team based learning assignment
print out rubric
Describe the basic concepts related to groups and group communication in the
health care setting.
Discuss professional and in
NSE12B - NURSING INTERVENTIONS: WINTER WEEK 1
Infection Prevention & Control
1. Describe and explain the rationale for Transmission-Based (Isolation) Precautions (Tier Two).
Transmission-Based Precaution is also known as additional precaution in the Heal
Potter & Perry (P&P), pp.635-656; 797-816.
Nursing Skills on-line: Module 7-Safety.
Lesson 1- Safety Equipment and Fall Prevention
CNO Practice Standard: Infection Prevention & Control
Nurses are expected to be aware o
WEEK 5: Clinical Case Study Workshop
1. Review term class/lab notes and readings and material related to
nursing interventions learned in Fall and Winter term.
2. Ryerson, Centennial, George Brown Collaborative Nursing Degree
1. Potter & Perry (P & P), pp. 245-264; 1291-1311.
2. Arnold & Boggs (A & B), pp. 175-196; 337-348; 369-390.
What Are The Basic Elements And Forms Of Communication?
Referent: Motivates one person to communicate with another
-In a health care set
Explore how culture affects the therapeutic nurse-client relationship.
Facilitating Client Choice
Developing an Approach to Care
Establishing Mutual Goals
Quality Practice Settings and Culturally Sensitive Care
Describe the principles of body movement/mechanics (P 1186)
Body Mechanics: The coordinated efforts of the musculoskeletal and nervous systems to
maintain balance, posture, and body alignment during lifting, bending, moving, and performing
activities of d
NSE12 Reading Objectives
Week 6- Variations in Communication
1.Differentiate among the three components of any sensory experience:
Reception- begins with stimulation of a receptor- usually designed for one type of stimulus such
as light touch or sound
Chapter 22: Musculoskeletal System
Structure and Function
- consists of bones, joints, and muscles
- need system for support, movement, encase/protect vital organs, produce red blood cells
(hematopoiesis), reservoir for storage of essential minerals
P & P, pp. 336, 388-389, 424, 547, 816-824
- first year infants start differentiating themselves from others- act on own
- determine physical boundaries of self and the environment begin to respond to others
4 Concepts of Self Image:
- Body Image (physical)
- Personal Identity (cognitive)
- Self Esteem (emotional)
Concepts related to personal and professional self
- Self Awareness
- Self Reflection
- Personal and Professional values
NSE 12 week 12
When making a bed:
- Dont shake the linen, and put it in the hamper ASAP
- Make sure the bed rails are up so the patient doesnt roll over
- Privacy of the patient
- Be organized with linens from before, get a hamper close
Cultures of Safety
NSE12 week 8 & 9
- You would need someone to assist you, dependent
- Someone could a quadrepledric or something
- Bed rest is prescribed because the person needs to have reduced oxygen, need to have
their pain reduced or need analgesics, promot
Describe the basic elements and forms of the communication process.
Identify factors that influence therapeutic communication
Describe communication techniques to promote therapeutic communication.
Apply active listening an
NSE 12 week 7: Infection Control
Infection control: Break the chain of infection cycle
Infectious agent: Bacteria and viruses are responsible for agent. Resident microorganisms are
part of your normal flora and doesnt cause disease, whereas transient are