Assignment 3 Due Friday, Aug. 1
Read Cooper Industries, Inc. and answer the following questions.
1. Based on Nicholsons financial performance, how much is Nicholson worth under current
management (assume recent performance is a guide to future performanc
Sample Final Exam Fall 2008
Please make sure that your copy of the examination contains 25 pages (including this one).
Write your name and MIT ID number on every page.
You are allowed two 8 1 11 sheets of notes and one non-programmable no
Captus Press Inc., 2012
1. Which of the following cannot be used as a
The nominal rate of interest
The real rate of interest
The after-tax nominal rate of interest
Assignment 1 Due Thursday, July 24
The calculations needed for this assignment can be performed either on a calculator or in Excel. The
course web page has a spreadsheet, called FinFunctions, that illustrates some of the financial functions
available in E
Assignment 4 Due Thursday, August 7
1. You are thinking about investing in a risky portfolio. In one year, you expect the portfolio to be worth
either $120,000 or $160,000, with equal probability, and you expect to receive $4,000 in dividends.
Assignment 2 Due Monday, July 28
Read Acid rain: The Southern Company (A) and answer the following questions.
1. Based on management forecasts, evaluate Southern Companys alternatives for complying with the
Clean Air Act. How costly is each alternative? W
Sample final results
2) 19 years after subscribing (Assumption: The rst $750 fee membership fee payment is
made after one year (that is in t = 1, not t = 0). Moreover
Assignment 6 Due Monday, Aug. 17
Read UST Inc. and answer the following questions. The information below about bond ratings and
interest coverage ratios might be useful.
1. Describe the financial outlook and business risks for UST. ased on information i
Part A. Introduction
Introduction to Finance and Course Overview (Chapters 1-2)
Financial decisions of households and corporations
Objectives of corporate financial managers
Approaches to valuing financial and real assets
Opportunity of cost of capital
Assignment 7 Due Tuesday, Aug. 18
Read Massey-Ferguson, 1980 and answer the following questions.
1. Describe and evaluate Massey-Fergusons product market strategy prior to 1976. Where possible,
compare Masseys strategy to those of its leading competitor
Assignment 5 Due Monday, Aug. 11
Read Cost of Capital at Ameritrade and answer the following questions. The spreadsheet
Ameritrade on SloanSpace contains all of the data in Exhibits 1 6 of the case, as well as additional
data for the Fama-French three-fac