STATIC AND KINETIC FRICTION
1. A box is pulled at constant velocity along a horizontal plane. Use axes parallel
and perpendicular to the horizontal plane and draw a diagram of the forces acting
on the box.
2. Assume in question 1
1. When is the average velocity of an object equal to the instantaneous velocity?
nly when the velocity is constant
only when the velocity is increasing at a constant rate
2. An object moving in the +x axis expe
Concepts of Motion
Motion: the _ of an object's position with time.
position : must be given with respect to some
An objects position is its directed distance from a
movement is said to have occurred when the
Reading Question 11.1
The statement K = W is called the
A. Law of conservation of energy.
B. Work-kinetic energy theorem.
C. Kinetic energy equation.
D. Weight-kinetic energy theorem.
PCS120: Fall 2015
PCS120 Tutorial 1
Week of September 14 2015
Textbook: R. Knight: Physics For Scientists and Engineers: A Strategic Approach (3rd edition)
Chapter 1 Exercises and Problems:
18, 36, 38, 41,47,48
Chapter 2: Exercises and Problems: 1,2
PCS 120 Fall 2012 Mid-term #1
Date: Monday, October 29, 2012
Duration: 90 minutes
Department of Physics
Faculty of Science
Print your name:_
PCS 120 CONSTANTS AND FORMULAE
m p = 1.67 10
me = 9.11 10
e = 1.60 10
Pre-lab questions for lab #3: NEWTONS THIRD LAW
1. State Newtons 3rd Law of motion.
2. What are action-reaction force pairs?
3. A book is resting on the surface of a table. Consider the following four forces
that arise in this situation:
(1) the fo
Pre-lab questions for lab #4: IMPULSE AND MOMENTUM
1. Which one of the following statements concerning momentum is true?
(a) Momentum is a force.
(b) Momentum is a scalar quantity.
(c) The SI unit of momentum is kg m2/s.
(d) The momentum of an obje
Pre-lab questions for lab #5: CONSERVATION OF MECHANICAL ENERGY
1. A helicopter of mass m = 1000 kg is cruising at a speed of 25.0 m/s at an altitude of 200 m. What is the total
mechanical energy of the helicopter?
2. A pebble rolls off the roof of