ACS WEEK 9
Pejoration and Amelioration
- If a word is pejorative it is a bad thing
- If a word is ameliorative it is a good thing
- Scent Fragrant (Ameliorative), Stinky (Pejorative) role
- Wacky P, Silly A
- Euphemisms used to make words sound better tha
ACS 106 - Week 11
Politeness and Face
- Face: A persons public self-image involving personal dignity and emotional well-being
- Losing face - drawing attention to awkwardness of a situation
- Saving Face - helping Jamin out when he asks a
ACS 106 - WEEK 1
What is language and how do we use it?
What are some reasons why we focus on language more carefully?
- Ideology which can trap us
- It can be a mystery as it changes overtime
- language is the tool that helps us pay atten
ACS 106 - WEEK 3
Language and Analogy (Poetic Iconicity)
Further examples of Iconicity (resembles what it's talking about) in Language
Iconicity or arbitrary?
a) the balloon rose higher and higher
resemblance of higher pitches with higher locations
ACS 106 Week 7
Semantics Part 2:
Metaphor and Meaning
Gate C22 Poem a poem about metaphors
- Metaphors: thinking of one thing in terms of another, or thinking of two things in term of
- Metaphors make you see things in a new way
- Being master
ACS 106 - WEEK 4
LANGUAGE or LANGUAGES
How do we identify and define distinct languages?
- history, what you call yourself, what people call you, your enemies, who you are
- Do they claim to be the same culturally?
ACS 106 - Week 2
- Language is the frail bridge that we fling across the chasm of the inexpressible and the
incommunicable (Matisoff, 1979)
- Language is born out of the desire to do the impossible
links between sound [the most accessible element
1. In the piano analogy for Language, discussed in class, an individual melody like being played out on the
keyboard corresponds with _.
2. The words lump, bump, hump, plump, clump and rump all rhyme with each other. In what
other way do t
ACS 106 Final Exam Review
1. What branches of linguistics studies how contextual factors (eg. history, memory, gender
and interpersonal situations) influence the meaning of utterances?
Sub-fields of structure-focu