CHEM-332: Advanced Inorganic Chemistry
Spring semester (072)
Transition metal chemistry, structural and bonding interpretation of magnetic and spectral
properties of transition metal compounds (ligand field theory), stability of trans
Quiz # 6
1. Propose an organometallic molecule isolobal with
2. Subdivide the following molecules into fragments and show that they are isolobal.
3. Classify the following as closo, nido or
Quiz # 4
1. Determine the valence electron count for the metal in the following compounds.
2. The following CO stretching frequencies have been recorded for the species given
Quiz # 3
1. Determine the microstate table of a 3P free ion term
2. a) Considering spin-orbit coupling find the terms originating from a 3P free ion term.
b) If the 3P term above corresponds to a p2 configuration, what would be t
Quiz # 2
1) Determine which of the following is paramagnetic or diamagnetic, justify and estimate its
2) Using the angular overlap model, determine the energies of the d orbitals of the
Quiz # 1
1) Name the following compounds:
a) [Co(NH3)4Br2]NO3 :
b) [Cu(en)(H2O)Cl] :
2) For the complex ion with the formula : [Co(NH3)5SCN]2+,
a) What kind of isomerism is observed ?
b) Which isomer is likely to be more stable ?
(Hint : us
1. Determine the valence electron count for the metal in the following compounds
(Show your method).
2. Which of the two types of carbonyls (terminal or bridging) has the highest stretching f
1. Name the following compounds:
a) [Mn(py)4Cl2]NO2 :
b) [Cu(en)(H2O)F] :
2. Give the structure of
3. For the empirical formula Pt(NH3)2Cl2, what kind of isomerisms are observ
Vibrational activity in IR and Raman (ref. 1)
IR active: all 13513ch mommt
a Q: 0 Normal coordinates
Ram an active: 6 a
Cis-MX4Y2 sz Trans-NIXqu D411
Vibr. VMX = 4
Example: [PtC 14(NH3)2]
am 353, 344, 330, 206 cm'1