Mathematics for Business
Abida Mansoora and Richard J. Caron
c 2014 University of Windsor
January 5, 2016
1 Mathematical Concepts
1.1 The Real Numbers . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
1.2 Properties of Real Numbers . . . . . . . . . . .
Solutions of Chapter 4 Exercises
1. Given each of the following mathematical expressions, rearrange the expressions so that the resulting
expression is linear and all the decision variables are on the left hand side of the expression and
only constants ar
Solutions of Chapter 2 Exercises
1. Find the equation of the line passing through the following points. Also find the x-intercept and
(a) (0, 0) and (5, 2)
(b) (1, 4) and (12, 3)
Solution. (a) slope: m =
Solutions of Chapter 6 Exercises
1. Sketch the graph of the following functions.
Solution. (a) y = 3x
(b) y = (0.6)x
(c) y = ln x
(d) y = log5 x
2. Use a calculator to evaluate
Solution. (a) 30.4 = 1.5518
(b) e5 = 148.4
Solutions of Chapter 7 Exercises
1. What is the probability of obtaining two heads in row?
Solution. There are four equally likely possibilities. They are HH, HT, TH, and TT, where H
represents heads and T represents tails. Of the four, only one is HH. Th
Solutions of Chapter 3 Exercises
1. Solve each of the following systems by graphical method.
The graphs for both lines are shown in Figure 1. The point of intersection is (0, 0). So the solution
is x = 0 and y = 0.