2W04 Assignment #5 Solutions 2011 Questions 5, 7, 9, 10 evaluated
1) Heat transfer to the fluid as it flows through a nozzle is desirable since it will
Solutions Assignment #8
1. R-134a is compressed by an adiabatic compressor. The isentropic efficiency of the compressor is to be
Assumptions 1 This is a steady-flow process since there is no change with time. 2 Kinetic and potential
Solutions Assignment #7
Yes. This will happen when the system is losing heat, and the decrease in entropy as a result of this heat
loss is equal to the increase in entropy as a result of irreversibilities.
A rigid tank contains an ideal gas that is
Solutions Assignment #4
1. No. This is the case for adiabatic systems only.
2. Warmer. Because energy is added to the room air in the form of electrical work.
3. An automobile moving at a given velocity is considered. The power required to move the car
1. Problem Statement
What is the net force on a car moving at constant velocity horizontally? What
is the net force on a car moving at constant velocity vertically?
Schematic and Given Data:
Known Data and Pr
2W04 Assignment #4 Solutions 2011 Questions 3, 7, 8 evaluated
1) Warmer. Because energy is added to the room air in the form of electrical work.
2) Energy can be
ssignment # 3, Due Thursday February 3th, 2011 @1:30pm
2W04 Assignment #3 Solutions 2011 Questions 3, 4, 7 evaluated
1. The form of energy that crosses the boundary of a closed system because of a
A steady-flow Carnot cycle uses water as the working
fluid. Water changes from saturated liquid to saturated vapor as heat
is transferred to it from a source at 250C. Heat rejection takes p
3) A geothermal heat pump with R-134a as the working fluid is considered. The evaporator inlet and exit
states are specified. The mass flow rate of the refrigerant, the heating load, the COP, and the minimum
power input to the compressor are to be determi
Mechanical Engineering 2W04: Engineering Thermodynamics
McMaster University, Faculty of Engineering, Winter 2011
Dr. J.S. Cotton, JHE 212a, ext. 24899, firstname.lastname@example.org
I am usually available through the day for consultation; you are welcom
2011 Mid-term #1 solutions
a) I. The zeroth law of thermodynamics states that two bodies are in thermal equilibrium
if both have the same temperature reading. cvcn ilthey are not in contact. OR MK
® If two bodies are in thermal equilibrium