The Great Depression
- A global economic downturn starting in 1929 lasting until the Second World War.
- Increased labour militancy ushered in a whole host of social reforms in the 1930s and
- The adoption of Keynesian economic policies such as sti
The Origins of Neoliberalism
- The political crisis of the 1970s.
The growth of labour militancy
The radicalization of the student movement
Rising feminist movement
The growing black power movement and other similar movements in oppressed
Women, Gender and Work
- Human Capital Theory
- Labour Market Segmentation Theory
- Family Wage
- Male Breadwinner
- Gender Sex division
Good Jobs and Bad Jobs
What makes a good job?
- Chance of advancement
- Wage gap
- Feminization of work
- Double workday
- Non-standard work
Women in the Work Force
- There are more women engaged in the labour force than ever before.
- The education level of women in Canada has increased dramatically (The
Lecture (Jan 22)
The Birth of the Assembly Line
- To make production more efficient Henry Ford in 1913 implements
- The system of producing large quantities of standardized goods
- Who will buy all these mass pro
The Organization of Work Under Capitalism
- Scientific Management
- Mechanization of Work
- It is a system that is based on the exploitation of labour. Workers who are alienated
from the means of production a
Drummond Report on Education
- Bigger class sizes
- Lower pay/benefits for teachers
- Fewer Universities (Streamed technical and research)
- 3 Year degrees (full time all year)
- Tuition and user fee hikes
- Debt Trap
- Education Factory
- Rand Formula
- Industrial Unions
- Craft Unions
- Business Unionism
- Social Movement Unionism
- Revolutionary Unionism
Capitalism and Workers
The conflict at work.
- Owners want to pay the least possible for workers to work at
Life in the Service Sector
What is the Service Sector?
- Service sector jobs produce services rather than tangible products for exchange
- Industries in Service Sector (Transportation, business services, education, health and
welfare, public administratio
A Brief History of Capitalism (Jan 15th)
- Accumulation by Dispossession
- Putting out system
- Industrial Revolution
- How has it changed how work is conducted, organized and seen in our society?
- What is it?
- How does it operate