Death & Dying 2M03 Lecture 1
Tuesday, June 25, 2013.
Introduction: The Cross-Cultural Study of Death
Thanatology: study of death
- thanatos Greek word and it means the personification of death
(brother named hypnosis) over time used as a term used for dea
Death & Dying 2M03 Lecture 2
Thursday, June 27th, 2013.
Clarification from Lecture 1:
Components Objects and Symbols
Objects: obituaries, tombstones, hearses, electric chairs
Symbols: black arm bands, funeral music, skull and crossbones etc.
Death & Dying 2M03 Lecture 4
Thursday, July 4th, 2013.
Grief & Mourning:
- the objective event of loss
- is the change of social status
- is an outcome of large-scale social phenomena
- root meaning shorn off or torn up
- something yanked awa
Death & Dying 2M03 Lecture 5
Tuesday, July 9th, 2013.
Memorials: Relationships with the Dead
- Romania light fires at the graves and share food in memory of their
- Fire might symbolize the light of Christ
Grief & Mourning Lecture:
Death & Dying 2M03 Lecture 6
Thursday, July 11th, 2013.
Death and the Ancestors in China:
as of 2013 it is the second largest economy
highest population in the world
1.3 billion people living there
average life span: 73.4 years old
trachea bronchus and lu
Death & Dying 2M03 Lecture 7
Tuesday, July 16th, 2013.
Death in Japan:
*short answers on this lecture/movie*
* Do not read Dennis Klass for final exam but read the Mark Rowes one*
Japan island nation in East Asia
Population in 2012: 127.5 million people
Death & Dying 2M03 Lecture 8
Thursday, July 18th, 2013.
- in India life expectancy is 67.48
- they released turtles into the Ganges
- suicide, pneumonia , tuberculosis
- Hinduism largely a name given by Westerners
- To characterize the In
Death & Dying 2M03 Lecture 9
Tuesday, July 23rd, 2013.
Tibetan Buddhism and the Book of the Dead:
* study maps * Corlin article
- Tibet used to be a country but it has been taken over by China
- nicknamed roof of the world or land of snows
Death & Dying 2M03 Lecture 10
Thursday, July 25th, 2013.
Death in African Cultures:
- Africa is the second largest continent in the world
- Approximately 1 billion people
- Widely accepted Africa is where everyone came from
- Africa has a very long and ri
Death & Dying 2M03 Lecture 11
Tuesday, July 30th, 2013.
The Day of the Dead in Mexico:
- afterlife determined by type of death
- sacrificial rites
- destiny of soul after death was determined by the manner
Death & Dying 2M03 Lecture 3
Tuesday, July 2nd, 2013.
The Funeral Process: A Self-Examination of Attitudes, Feelings and
1. Funerals are a waste of time.
2. Bodies should be donated for scientific use.
3. Funerals are a comfor
Tues, Aug 2, 2016
FINAL EXAM REVIEW
7 pages, half short answer, half MS, matching. 75 marks + Bonus
marks for one of the readings.
Basic film questions.
Point format for long answer allowed.
1 question wor
Running head: DEATH AND DYING ESSAY
Death and Dying Essay
July 28, 2016
Dr. Sherry Smith
DEATH AND DYING ESSAY
The terms death, dying, and religion never crossed my mind until my first year of
university when I atte
Death & Dying 2M03 Lecture 12
Tuesday, August 6th, 2013.
Canadian Indigenous Groups:
- Metis: French Indian
- Over 600 bands
United States Indigenous Groups:
- In U.S. American Indians or Native Americans
- 1.8 million are registered tribal members