Definition, what makes a feminist.
Why cant feminism and male rights go hand in hand?
- misconception of feminism today
Can feminism be mass produced?
- authentic vs. staged social stages
case study: Spice Girls
Lecture #3 Beyonc
Institutionalized racism/classism becoming naturalized to certain
Proliferation in the media of stereotypes
Race is a cultural construct:
Race is a cultural construct that was invented in order to explain
the social phenomenon
- black R&B singers as robots/aliens
- robo diva
- removal of natural elements
- historical framework: afro-futurism
- blackness associated with the natural
> more primitive version of sexuality
> threat to white patriarchal status quo
Lecture #2 Yonc
Merriam Webster Definition:
- The female singer in an opera company
- A famous and successful woman who I attractive and fashionable
especially an attractive and successful female performer or celeb
- Goddess, Princess, Queen
- What is feminism to you?
- Rebecca West, 1913
> I myself have never been able to find out precisely what feminism iswhenever I express
differentiate me from a doormat or prostitute."
100 Most Influential People
Gender (and popular music conventions)
rock music = masculine
- women as fans, background singers
female efforts downplayed
pop music = feminine
Judith Butler - Gender Trouble (1990)
Gender is performed
- gender is not a natural category
- not something