Week 2: Lecture 1- January 16th
Paris was awarded Helen of Sparta as she was extremely beautiful
She was said to be the daughter of Zeus
Paris travels from Troy to Sparta to claim his prize, while in Sparta he abducts Helen,
Wednesday, October 22, 2014
Lecture 16 - Roman History !
- Pomerium - sacred boundary of the city and no one shall cross it in aggression !
- romulus puts his obligation to his state and kills his brother as he crosses !
- Romulus then establishe
Monday, October 27, 2014
Lecture 18 - Rome!
- Rome found as a monarchy, worked for a while, reassembled as a republic - worked
well until Roman Empire that the system could not deal with the changes!
- Cesar emerged to establish power for himself
Wednesday, October 15, 2014
- Chaeronea 338 BC!
- Phillip conquers southern Greece!
- His son, Alexander (later named the Great) would take and improve on his ambition to
conquer all of the Persian Empire.,!
- Lysander of
Wednesday, October 1, 2014
Lecture 10 - Athens Democracy !
- Attica: Athens -> Polis!
- Kekrops - the Athenians were not always democrats. Suggest that they were ruled by
Kings. While reconstructing their history, begins with Kekrops (rst King of
Friday, October 3rd, 2014
From worship of Dionysus!
-theatre and literature evolve from worship of Dionysus!
-myths as inspiration, especially tragedies!
-shape societal views, etc.!
Tragos + ode = goat song > goat men would be th
Wednesday, September 24, 2014
Lecture 8 - Persian war and Salamis!
- Xerxes led the battle !
- Delphi told Spartans that they must participate in the war!
- 1 of their two Kings, had the unusual (that young boys had, not Ki
Monday, September 29, 2014
Lecture 9 - Sparta and Athens !
- agog - begins with !
- hoplite - specic kind of heavy infantry soldier (backbone of spartan military) . takes
his name from the shield he carries (hoplon)!
- shield enforces massive
Monday, September 22, 2014
Lecture 7 !
- distance ran was about the distance a Persian could re his bow!
- Athenians begin advancing (about 200 m away from the Persians, they sprint directly
at the Persians)!
- they are able to close the distance
Friday, September 12, 2014
Lecture 3 - Hesoid !
Homer, Iliad 800BC RECAP:!
Crete, Minoans, (artisans) to the bronze age, but replaced by Mycaenians, then we discussed
the archaic poet, Homer who wrote about this period. !
Where Homer says
Wednesday. September 10th, 2014
Lecture 2 - The Greek 8th Century BC Renaissance !
- Mycenaeans (1600-)!
- Hittites vanish the scene!
- and Egypt is even threatened !
- some relationship to to biblical traditions? Samuel 1.17 and goli
Friday, September 19, 2014
Lec6 - Symposion !
- Midterm1 next Friday (26th)!
- section 1 - terms/names/dates - 4 - mc!
- section 2 - same^ but list of terms/names/dates and you select and dene and state
signicance (3) !
- section 3 - asking you t
Wednesday, September 17, 2014
Lec5 - Greek Art!
- Writing Assignment!
- choose an article from list. write short summary. look through footnotes, nd 3
modern and write 3 short annotated bib. and old. and then nd article .!
Monday, September 15, 2014
Lecture 4 - The Olympics!
776 - date of the rst olympics (archaeic period)!
originally a religious festival (sports) and began as the worship of the greek gods!
like a combination of sporting achievement with the r
Wednesday, November 5, 2014
Lecture 22 - Literature !
- around 300 - development of early Roman literature !
- Livius came to rome as a slave of war, but into the roman body and contributed to the
development of latin literature. Not much of his
Wednesday, October 29, 2014
Lecture 19 - Familia Romana !
- dies lustricius -> had a sort of baptism in which they were given a name. On this day,
a Roman would receive 3 names; a 3 name system [girls were only given one name only needed to be id
Week 1: Lecture 1- January 9th, 2016
Northern and eastern peoples of the mediterranean (Greeks and the Romans)
800 BC - 476 AD (1276 years of human history)
Unit 1: 6 weeks of the Greeks
Crete which is a small island (2500 BC with the Min
Week 5: Lecture 1-Feb 6th
Art and Thought in the Fifth Century BC (Ch. 14) 500 BC to 401 BC
Time for the Athenians and Athens (Epicenter of the Greek world)
Battle of Marathon (490 BC)
Battle of Salamis (480 BC)
Ionian Revolt was suppressed by the Persian
Week 3: Lecture 1- January 23rd
Pottery Throughout Time
Minoan- floral themes/skilled/wall paintings
Mycenaean- sophisticated/very skilled
Pottery after the dark age was awful but slowly improved after that point
Archaic (540 BC)- great work/may be be
Week 4: Lecture 2- Feb 1
Persia and the Greeks (550-490 BC)
The Great War (480-479 BC)
Morris and Powell- Chapters 11-12 cfw_Ch. 13
Persian (Achaemenid) Empire
Cyrus the great, founder of the persian empire
Pushed his empire to the west with millions of
September 18th 2015
Achilles hunts down hector conflronting him for killing patroclus, and they
argeed to a one on one fight.
Achilles penthesilea amazon women who Achilles killed but as she died her
helmet fell off and he fell in love
Bronze age: Minoans:
Minoan culture flourished / peaked at 2000-1600
One of the most important city mycen
Linear a still undesifered Minoan culture
Replaced by linear B Mycenaean culture
Dark age 110
September 14th 2015
The greeks before history: 12000-1200 BC
The dark age 1200-800bc
Prehistoric begins that lived in the greek pensulia
Around 10000ca Neolithic come in the wake of retreating ice caps new
Lived in caves until 3000bc
September 28th 2015
Isolated by mountain range
Dorian invasion /migration from north in 10th century
Athens were different ethnic group attics. Spartans were dorians
Dorians invaded after the age of heros.
Lycurgus 8th century BC (ancient sou
Prehistory of the Greek Peninsula: ca 40,000 years ago
Around 10,000ca 3000Bs Neolithic, come in the wake of retreating ice caps
Lived in caves until 3000bc modern humans
Many monsters are part of the history of this time
Persian wars: conclusion:
The war with Persia colonization of ionia (11th-8th BC)
Ionian rational revolution where philosophy and history began
Cyrus and Lydian babylonian captivity freeing the jews.
Cyrus was not always a negative tyrant.
November 25th 2015
Roman architecture and engineering
Golden house of nero after fire of rome, nero constructed the donius aerius
from where other land had burned down.
Insula apartments. More than modern city then in reinassiance densily
4TH Century Contd:
zeno of citium and stoicism:
- philosophy that zeno founded
art during 4th century:
- losing argument that is was decline in art. Similar to the dark age, became
- Ideal of ploykleitos doryphorors or diadoumes.
The Divinity of Alexander
o Athenians vs Spartans
o Sparta has no leverage at the end of their victory
Rise of Thebes
o Sarissa Phalanx
Developed the Thebes
very long pike or spear
Fought with Sarissa and doru(shield)
Became the domi
Trace the evolution of the roman monarchy to the republic to the empire, characteristics
Compare and contrast the political careers of Caesar and Augustus
Romulus, a descendant from the Trojan hero Aeneas, built Romes walls and secured
Classical Studies Lecture 6
Olympics began in 776 BC
The most key difference between the modern Olympics and the ancient is
The ancient was supposed to be a religious ceremony
It was a sporting event held every four years
There was a very important
Classical Studies Lecture 3
Mycenae collapses and the people leave
Egypt was under huge pressure
One the most important signs of a return was the discovery of writing
Homer? 800 BC- the ancient greeks agreed that Homer , a blind poe
Classical Studies Lecture 5
Not inconsistent to the greek man that odysseus has been on the island with calypso- were not
to be critical for being unfaithful to his wife it was normal among the greeks
The greeks celebrate odysseus arrival!