1. Evolutionary change as a result of natural selection ALWAYS leads to:
b) more intricate adaptations.
c) increased complexity.
e) None of the above is correct.
2. Which of the following phrases describes a type of natural s
1. Which of the following statements is NOT important to Darwin's theory of
a) Some variation found in natural populations is heritable.
b) Variation is found in all natural populations.
c) All species have the ability to prod
1. In most bacteria, the DNA is carried:
a) in a single circular chromosome.
b) in two circular chromosomes.
c) in a single linear chromosome.
d) in multiple circular chromosomes.
e) in multiple linear chromosomes.
2. The DNA in linear eukaryoti
1. Jay has type O blood, and his brother Alon has type AB blood. What are the
genotypes of these boys' parents?
a) IAi and IBi
b) ii and IBi
c) IAIA and IBi
d) IAi and IBIB
e) ii and ii
2. Is it possible for a woman to have a X-linked recessive trait? If
1. Sex cells having the _ number of chromosomes are called
a) diploid; somatic cells
b) haploid; zygotes
c) diploid; zygotes
d) haploid; gametes
e) diploid; gametes
2. Which of the following DOES occur during Anaphase I of meiosis?
a) The homologous pa
1. Virtually everyone with _ has a parent that exhibits the
a) a cleft chin
e) sickle-cell disease
2. The law of segregation states that:
a) the transmission of genetic diseases withi
How are incomplete dominance
and codominance similar? How are
Explain why sex-linked recessive
traits are more common in males
than in females, but the situation is
reversed for sex-linked dominant
Define Mendels law of
1. Evolution is a change in the _ _ of a population
The ultimate source of genetic variation is _.
The majority of the population in Quebec is genetically similar due to the
emigration of a small population from France in the 160
Chapter 1 - Light and Life
Impressionism - art movement in 19th century characterized my use of
small visible brush strokes that emphasized light and color rather than lines
to define object. Ex. Claude Monet. Uses unmixed pure colors. ex. putting
Define and distinguish between the proximate and ultimate causes of behaviour.
Describe the adaptive advantage of innate behaviors. Define and distinguish
between innate and learned behaviours.
Describe the respective roles of genetics
Define and distinguish between the different levels within ecosystems.
Distinguish between the biotic and abiotic components of an ecosystem.
Describe the abiotic factors that influence life in the biosphere.
Explain how global climate
9.2- True breeding organisms- offspring with inherited traits identical to parents (homozygous)
Hybrid- offspring of two different varieties
Cross-fertilization- fertilization between one plant and a different plant (Hybridization, genetic cross)
Speciation- process by which one species splits into two or more spieces
- Each time, diversity of life increases
- Explains diversity + unity of life
- When specie splits into 2, new spice share many characteristics b/c theyre descended from a com
- Gametogenesis- formation of gametes
Spermatogenesis-formation of sperm cells (approx. 10 weeks)
- Seminiferous tubules- coiled tubes where sperm develops in testes
- Diploid cells begin process outer wall of tubules (3 million goes thru mit
BIOL 1500-Chapter 1
1.1-All form of life share common properties
Biology- scientific study of life
Seven Properties + Process associated w/ life
Living cells are basis of complex organization
Ex: tissue, organs- well organized