NATS 1745: History of Astronomy- Exam Review
1. What celestial event is Newgrange aligned to? Describe what happens at New
grange on this day.
New granges roofbox is aligned to the winter solstice sunrise. On the 21 of December
at sunrise, the h
PLACES ND THINGS
Newgrange: aligned to winter solstice, sun travels down a passageway to reach a tomb on that
Fajada Butte (New Mexico) and sun daggers: on noon of solstices and equinoxes, beams of
light bisect or frame spirals on the walls
NAMES MOTHERFUCKERS DO YOU KNOW THEM
Pope Gregory XIII: fixed 11.5min error in calendar (modern)
Added leap day every 4 years, still had 11.5min error (Julian calendar)
Wrote almagest (mathematical treatise)
Ordered planets by
Chapter 7 Exam Review
1. According to Descartes, what is in between the planets, and what drives the
Space is filled with an invisible fluid (ether) in which the planets are carried
around the Sun by whirling vortices. Thus, empty space
Chapter 2 Exam Review
1. What motivated the imperial astronomers of Ancient China to monitor the skies?
Why were they more interested in comets and supernovae than in the planets?
For them, the sky was the mirror of the Earth. By keeping a close eye on t
Chapter 3 Exam Review
1. According to the textbook, what was it about Ancient Greece that enabled its
philosophers to theorize about why the sky moves the way it does, as opposed to just
using it for tracking time and astrology?
They took the supernatura
Chapter 6 Exam Review
1. What is refraction? What did Galileo's refracting telescope consist of? What does
the primary lens do? What does the eyepiece do?
o Invented in Holland in 1609, the first telescope used the principle of
NATS1745 6.0 History of Astronomy
Chapter 1 Exam Review
What celestial event is Newgrange aligned to? Describe what happens at
Newgrange on this day.
Sun hits roof box and light gradually lights the passageway and eventually fills
Chapter 4 Exam Review
1. Why did knowledge about astronomy decline during the Dark Ages?
Church became more involved in State affairs
o Study of the sky not emphasized in the Bible
o Rejection of Ancient Greek ideas as contrary to Scripture
Work of Pagan
Chapter 5 Exam Review
1. What was Tycho Brahe's lifelong goal? Did he achieve his goal in his lifetime?
Who carried on his work to successful completion?
To complete the mapping of the stars.
2. What celestial event did Tycho Brahe witness in 1563? What