Roots of Western Civilization
Downsides of civilization
a) reversal of gender
c) devastating epidemics;
d) ecological shifts;
e) warrior mentality.
Tigris and Euphrates;
fertile plains, albeit
Ancient Greek Philosophy
metaphysics; theory of
The Iliad and The Odyssey: first, fully developed epic poems.
orally transmitted and later written down (c. 750 BCE);
historical context: Trojan War (c. 12th century BCE).
What is an epic?
long narrative po
What is tragedy?
staged dignified story;
message through characters actions or decisions;
clash between the protagonist and a superior force;
1. private allegiances vs. public duties (Antigone);
2. intrafamilial conflict (Electra);
3. absence lack of authority social chaos;
4. domesticity: family + political order & custom (nomos);
5. broader, more democratic arte: heroism + persuasive rhetoric;
intellectual astuteness; & self-discip
Sophocless Electra. Some conclusions
1. centrality of ethics;
2. emergence of the female hero;
3. female domesticity vs. male politics;
4. transition from private (family-centered) to
5. more secular worldview.