CHEM 113B Homework Assignment 2
Due Friday 1/23/15
1. Calculate the energy for the photon and the number of photons emitted per second from
a) a 100 yellow light bulb (assume = 550)
b) a 1 microwave sour
Chem 113B (Winter 2012) Homework 2
Due Friday January 27 in class
Chapter 8 Exercises: 1a, 5a, 6a, 8b, 10b, 14b, 16a
Chapter 8 Problems: 2, 10, 12, 15
for a particle in a 1-d box.
(This problem is from Homework 1, but we're counting it as part o
Course: Chem. 1138 Initial of
Final Exam last name
Closed Book, Closed Notes
Read Entire Exam Before Beginning
[I Check here if you DO NOT want your exam le in front of my ofce. 1.
C loud Book. Cloned Note.
Read Entire Exam Before Starting
Good Luck beollowincqmmwdowhhamodnm. 'lhetwolamwmwau
-c J m 4%)
I. mmmmmmmumm. (4pm)
Instructor: Bowers _ .
Course: Chem. 113B Inmal of
Final Exam last name
Name K E Z
Wednesday, March 22. 2006
[:1 Checkhu-e ifyou no NOT want your exam left in from ofmy of
Vibrational Spectroscopy - Infrared and Raman
The number of normal modes of vibration of a molecule with N atoms can be
determined from the displacements of each atom in the x, y, and z directions. There
are obviously 3N such displacements, but 3 of these
Due January 22, 2016 in class by 1:00 PM
1. In class we showed the wave function for a particle in a one dimensional box is:
a) Calculate the probability that the particle is in the middle third (
) of the box
for n = 1 , 2 ,
Due February 19, 2016 in class by 1:00 PM
1. In class we showed
2. In class we determined that the term symbols for a
and where I have omitted the j values.
electron configuration were
a) Write the wave functions for these
Course: Chem. 1133 Initial of
Midterm Exam 1 last name
Wednesday, Feb. 3, 2016
LOOK OVER ENTIRE EXAM BEFORE BEGINNING
Where required please show work and
BOX FINAL ANSWER 1.
1. Consider the H -atom that we solved in class. The 2p orbitals in real form are given below.
= rsin8cos.pf(r)= x f(r)
' f' 2py
= r sin8sin.pf(r) = y f(r)
' f' 2p,
= r cos8f(r) = z f(r)
112 ( _ 1 J512 e-Yl2ao
(a) Do these functions have
Experiment 1: Fischer esterification
Theory & Background: Esters are widely found in nature and industry. In this experiment, lauric acid (dodecanoic acid) is converted to ethyl laurate. Lauric acid is representative of a class of molecules called fatty a
Quiz Bank for CHEM 6B Experiment 1
Experiment 1 : Fisher Esterification
1. What is the catalyst for the Fisher esterification?
2. Ignoring the acidic carboxylic acid proton, how many non-equivalent
Due Friday February 26, 2016 in class by 1:00 PM
1. a) Obtain a set of valence bond wave functions for the carbon atoms in C2H6. Assume the CC bond is along the z-axis and use the ortho-normality of both the s and p AOs and the
Due February 13, 2016 in class by 1:00 PM
1. In solving the
equation for the rigid rotor we found:
J = 0,1,2,3.
a) Show that
must be true for the rotation of a particle on a sphere using the facts:
an eigenfunction of bot