PSY 160JS Lecture Notes: 2/1/2016
- Today: Productivity
- Mindfulness v. Productivity
- Often seem in conflict. Many mindfulness retreats are focused on removing
responsibilities. Mindfulness itself is a practice of sitting and not engaging in other
Wednesday, February 10, 2016
PSY 160JS Lecture Notes 2/10
- Mindfulness as medicine
Not effective as sole treatment. Some studies show that as an additional treatment
it can have some effect on recovery.
Much more common than thought
Monday, February 29, 2016
PSY 160JS Lecture Notes 2/29
Today: Profound Influence
- The Hindrance of doubt
Unique challenge: often warranted. But when misplaced, becomes a major
Example: the doubt that mindfulness is truly valuable. Often
Wednesday, March 2, 2016
PSY 160JS Lecture Notes 3/2
Today: Bare Attention & The Nature of Reality
- Mindfulness & Insight into the nature of reality
Mindfulness allows for sharper more accurate representations of reality, because it
Monday, February 22, 2016
PSY 160JS Lecture Notes 2/22
Today: 2nd Midterm Review
What is Neuroplasticity?
- Enduring changes in brain function or structure.
What are the two types of neuroimaging?
- fMRI: shows differences in brain act
Wednesday, February 17, 2016
PSY 160JS Lecture Notes 2/17
Today: Good Will
- Tool for becoming more in touch with ones emotions of gratitude and kindness.
- A kind of medication that employs mi
PSY 160JS Lecture 4 Notes:
- Overall concepts:
- Discussion of possibile hinderances to meditation.
- Overview of physiological and psychological axes of stress.
- Exploration of Richard Lazaruss Appraisal Theory
- Hinderances to Meditation:
- Possible ex
Monday, March 7, 2016
PSY 160JS Lecture Notes 3/7
Today: Lasting Happiness
- A Mindful Path to Happiness
Some evidence discussed throughout the course regarding how mindfulness can
lead to increased well being:
- Experienced meditators tend to