Chapters 15 and 16
1. Plants do not eat but do require CO2, H2O, and sunlight to live. How is this different
from animals? What system do plants have to allow for their simple needs? Animals
need H20 to breathe for normal functioning of the body. Also the
1. A Helium-Neon (HeNe) laser emits light at 633 nm. What color light is this?
633 nm is red
2. Complete the following table for neutral atoms
Chapters 1 & 2
1. A scientist who is trying to make an insecticide that is more toxic to mosquitoes than to
humans would be involved in what?
a. basic research b. applied research c. technology d. serendipity
b. Applied Research
2. Identify each of the fo
1. Draw the Lewis dot structures for the following elements:
a. X, an element from the Group IA family
b. Z, an element from the Group IIA family
c. J, an element from the Group IVA family
d. K, an element from the Group VIA family
Fig. 5-CO, p. 93
Fig. 5-1, p. 95
Fig. 5-2, p. 96
Fig. 5-2a, p. 96
Fig. 5-2b, p. 96
Fig. 5-2c, p. 96
Fig. 5-3, p. 96
Fig. 5-4, p. 97
Table 5-1, p. 99
Table 5-2, p. 100
Fig. 5-5, p. 106
Table 5-3, p. 106
Identify each of the following as an oxidation or reduction reaction.
Zn2+ + 2e -> Zn Reduction
Cu -> Cu2+ + 2e Oxidization
Fe -> Fe3+ + 3e Oxidization
I2 + 2e -> 2I Reduction
2. Why can Earths atmosphere be described as an oxidizing atmosp
1. How many protons and neutrons are in each of the following nuclides?
a. Po-209 Protons: 84 Neutrons: 125
b. 23290Th Protons: 90 Neutrons: 142
c. Bi-209 Protons: 83 Neutrons: 126
d. 20782Pb Protons: 82 Neutrons: 125
2. Write each of the follo
Answers are highlighted in bold
1. a. What is organic chemistry?
The study of carbon and its properties/reactions
b. What is the goal of natural products chemist?
To study compounds produced by plants that have biological activity
2. Which of t