C,.o ' "1:,
F' A, V,
~ p~ A ,-ve.
. 0.'2.)( 2 -:"
V;s :. i t
- I '" 'S.)( ,
G . . o .)(. , .
(4- 1.- 2. ' ) 2-.q.~ I
T 4. b
. 1.;s'\)"Q y '1 .J \
J ( <:>,
Tutorial 5: Fluid Mechanics - Linear Momentum
A jet of water from a 50 mm dia. nozzle impinges normally with a velocity of 6.3 m/s on a
stationary flat plate. Calculate the force exerted by the water on the plate.
A jet of water of 22.5 cm di
Tutorial 4: Fluid Mechanics Bernoulli Equation
1. A pipe carrying water tapers from a cross-section of 0.2 m2 at A to 0.1 m2 at B. Point A is 2
m above the level of B. At A the velocity, assumed uniform, is 2 m/s and the pressure 103 kPa
gauge. If frictio
Tutorial 3: Fluid Mechanics Archimedes Principle
1. A marker buoy consisting of a cone and a
cylinder has the dimensions shown and weighs
2780 N out of water. Determine the protrusion
h when the buoy is floating in salt water. The
buoy is weighted so that
Tutorial 2: Fluid Mechanics Hydrostatics
1. The gauge pressure at a point 500 mm below the free surface of a liquid at rest is 5.89
kPa. Determine the specific gravity of the liquid. Find also the absolute pressure at the
point given that the barometric h
Tutorial 1: Fluid Mechanics Pressure (Take atmospheric pressure as 1.013 bar.)
1. A motor car tyre is inflated at a service station and the gauge shows 200 kPa. What is the
absolute pressure, in kPa, of the air in the type?
2. Calculate (a) th
Tutorial: Frictional Forces (3)
1. The coefficient of static friction between the uniform bar AB of weight W and the
supporting surfaces is s = 0.8. Determine the smallest angle for which the bar would be
2. The movable bracket of
Tutorial: Frictional Forces (2)
1. The man is trying to move a packing crate across the floor by
applying a horizontal force P. The centre of gravity of the 250 N
crate is located at its geometric centre. Calculate the force P required
to cause tipping of
Tutorial: Frictional Forces (1)
What is angle of friction and its relation to coefficient of friction?
The force required to move a block of weight 80 kg on a horizontal plane is 40 kg. What is the coefficient of
A 2-kg block is p