User Guide for Embest IDE for ARM7
By Dr. Ricky WH Lau
(1) Create a New Project:
Select New Workspace from File menu. A Create a New Project dialog window will pop
up. Enter the contents as shown in Figure 1.
Click OK button and a new project wil
How LCDs Work
You probably use items containing an LCD (liquid crystal display) every day. They are all
around us - in laptop computers, digital clocks and watches, microwave ovens, CD players
and many other ele
DRAM chips are large, rectangular arrays of memory cells with support logic that is used for
reading and writing data in the arrays, and refresh circuitry to maintain the integrity of stored
data. Memory ar
EE3220 Asynchronous Serial Communication (Dr WH Lau)
Asynchronous Serial communication
8.1 Asynchronous serial I/O
Communicate with remote peripherals such as remote
Serial interface is generally preferred to the parallel interface
EE3220 Display System (Dr. WH Lau)
Chapter 13 Display System
Display is an important part of a human-computer-interface
From CRT (Cathode Ray Tube) to LCD (Liquid Crystal
The display system design is evolved from TV system.
EE3220 Memory System (Dr WH Lau)
9. Memory System
The memory components of a computer system can be
divided into four main groups:
1. Internal processor memory: high-speed registers and
EE3220 Memory System - Timing Design (Dr. WH Lau)
Chapter 10 Memory System - Timing
Computer system requires a memory system to store program
and data for operation and it generally consists of main
memory and secondary system.
Main memory system
EE3220 Assembly Language Programming (Dr WH Lau)
Chapter 5 Assembly Language Programming
5.1 Instruction Set
It is a single command in the assembly language of the
CPU. When executed, an instruction modifies some of the
parts of the CPU, me
EE3220 Input/Output system (Dr WH Lau)
I/O bus: contains data, address, and control lines
I/O (or peripheral) device: performs some function for computer
I/O (or device) interface: controls the operation
EE3220 Assembly Language Program and Programming Tools (Dr. WH Lau)
Chapter 3 Assembly Language Program
and Programming Tools
Assembly language is a low level programming language. It
comprises with a set of instructions which direct the
3.1 Active matrix display
Active matrix liquid crystal
displays are standard on most
new laptop computers. Two
properties of liquid crystal is
used as tiny switches to turn
picture elements (pixels) off
Tutorial: Serial Interface
1. State the advantages of using serial interface for communication between ICs.
2. State physical lines that are required for the I2C bus system.
3. State the roles of master device in I2C bus system.
4. State the mechanism to
Tutorial : Analogue Digital Interface
1. 5/2 = 76.29 V
2. See 6.1.2 & 6.1.3
3. See 6.1.2 & input signal should remain unchanged while conversion is in progress.
4. See 6.1.4
5a. Conversion frequency: 1/1s = 1 MHz
Nyquist frequency: 21/20s = 100 kHz
What are liquid crystals
The three common states of matter, solid, liquid and gas, are different because the molecules
in each state have a different degree of order.
In the (crystalline) solid state the
SDRAM DEVICE OPERATION
POWER UP SEQUENCE
SDRAM must be initialized with the proper power-up sequence to the following (JEDEC Standard 21C 126.96.36.199):
1. Apply power and start clock. Attempt to maintain a NOP condition at the inputs
2. Maintain stable power
EE3220 Worksheet - 2
1. Assuming that the: [R0] = 0x908B2A76, [R1] = 0x27A0F83, [R2] = 0x1286125 and [R3]
= 0x8; condition flag [C] =1, [N]= 1, [V] = 0, [Z]=1, fine the changes of the registers and
condition flags after executing each instr
EE3220 Worksheet - 1
1. State the various phases of action for the CPU to execution an instruction.
2. State the essential information embedded in an instruction.
3. Describe the instruction execution timing characteristic differences betwe
Tutorial : Memory System
ROM (4M x 16-bit) : 16M/(4Mx2 ) = 2
SRAM (2M x 16-bit) : 16M/(2Mx2) = 4
SRAM (1M x 16-bit): 8M/(1Mx2) = 4
Tutorial: Memory System
1. A S3C44B0X based system is required to be equipped with a 16-bit data bus memory
system as follows:
16M bytes of ROM (4M x 16-bit) with starting address of 0x00000000.
16M bytes of SRAM (2M x 16-bit) with starting address of 0x0
EE3220 Assignment 1
1. Why does a pipelined processor usually with a large number of registers?
2. State the difference of operand type between data processing instructions and other
3. With the aid of barrel shifter operations, use only add
Learn About LCD TV and TFT LCD Displays
TFT LCD TV - What is TFT LCD?
History of TFT LCD
Liquid crystal was discovered by the Austrian botanist Fredreich Rheinizer in 1888. "Liquid crystal"
is neither so
Tutorial: Boot Porgram
1. Describe the boot procedures.
2. Describe the functions of a boot loader.
3. According to the 44BINIT.S file, CPU is required to do the following tasks when powerup, explain the reason.
Interrupt vector table
Answer to Tutorial - LCD
See Chapter 3.1
See Chapter 3.2.1 3.2.5
LC element is not a light source, it only direct light.
See Chapter 3.2.5
See Chapter 3.2.9
See Chapter 188.8.131.52
See Chapter 184.108.40.206 - 220.127.116.11
Monochrome 4-bit dua