CAST-POST-SOCI 3665H - Scaling Globalization and Neoliberalization
Class 6 - 10/18/11
How do we look at politics? Who are the actors and what are the struggles involved?
The shift towards Neoliberalization. Allowing space for the market to develop. What
CAST-POST-SOCI 3665H - Intersectionality: Class, Race, Ethnicity, and Gender
Class 10 - 11/22/11
Racialization: the creation of social categories based on difference.
In Canada, our immigration patterns have shifted over the years. Essentially, to
CAST-POST-SOCI 3665H - Canada and its Colonial/Imperial Past and Present
Class 8 - 11/8/11
- We began with staples, which is the foundation of thinking about Canada, state and
society. With staples came a history of our beginnings, and we can also think a
CAST-POST-SOCI 3665H - Elites, Class, and Corporate Power
Class 3 - 9/27/11
Who has power? What are the social relationships in our society? What are the
relationships between politics and power?
From Innis we get the idea of a staples trap. That we are s
CAST-POST-SOCI 3665H - Globalization, Free Trade, and Neoliberal Restructuring
Class 5 - 10/11/11
- Legitimation role of the state
- Neoliberalism compared and contrasted with neoconservatism
- Neoliberalism focused on reducing the state a
Sample Essay Topics
Almost any issue that has some relationship to issues of a political, and perhaps even
contentious, nature will work for this essay. If you are having trouble developing a topic,
my number one suggestion is that you use the weekly topi
CAST-POST-SOCI 3665H - Staples Theory and Canadian Industrial (Non)
Class 2 - 9/20/11
- Difficult terrain
- Geography and imports
- The relationship between geography and economic development
- The search for staples to advan
CAST-POST-SOCI 3665H - Women, Work and Canadian Society
Class 9 - 11/15/11
- Social reproduction is both privatized and pushed into the informal sector.
- Women in unpaid and paid work.
- Polarization amongst women themselves
CAST-POST-SOCI 3665H - The Canadian State
Class 4 - 10/4/11
Were concerned about the state as were talking about power and politics.
- State operates as a mediator between the various classes of the capitalist economy.
- Relative autonomy
CAST-POST-SOCI 3665H - Labouring Canada: Transforming the Working Class
Class 7 - 11/1/11
Thomas Dunk reading:
- Male, blue-collar workers
- Specialization, non-transferable skills
- Responses to rapid job loss
- What happens after t
CAST-POST-SOCI 3665H - Canada: A Staple Economy Revisited
Class 12 - 12/6/12
- Innis: staples impacted Canadas development as a periphery nation.
- Are we a staples country? And does that make us a dependent economy?
- In terms of e