Lecture Five: October 14, 2014
Rationality: every aspect of human action becomes subject to calculation, measurement and
control, in short knowledge, enables predictability on the outcome of investing in a certain thing
Factors in assessment: labour no en
Lecture One: September 9, 2014
Imminent development: sweetness and power, emerging as an unplanned but legitimate
sort of development, really about capitalism and globalization, early capitalism
The antipolitics machine
Sweetness and power
IDST 200A lecture 9 - 11/18/09
Recognizing Bias in Development Analysis, Research and Practice
- A distinguished background, she is the niece of Keynes. Her father won a Nobel prize.
- She is an economist.
- She went to Ghana as a civil servant
IDST 200A lecture 8 - 11/11/09
Recognizing Bias in Development Analysis, Reasoning and Measurement
Social capital is something someone cultivates.
The State does not provide social capital.
It is not something you can mobilize for development purposes.
IDST 200A lecture 6 - 10/21/09
Theoretical Overview cont.
Rationalism is an ideal type.
- The idea that there are no mysterious forces, anyone can master anything.
Rationality is embodied politically in bureaucratic democracy.
IDST 200A lecture 5 - 10/14/09
Theoretical Overview: Modernization and dependency
- Capitalism has certain prerequisites, it cannot just occur anywhere.
- According to Marx, as capitalism becomes increasingly entrenched in society, the
IDST 200A lecture 3 - 9/30/09
Theoretical Overview: some views on history and theory
Alarm Bell Words: These words should always be in quotes, they should be thought
about. These words should be never be taken at face value:
Community: what is community?
IDST 200A lecture 12 - 12/9/09
Development and the state in Southern Africa: Lesotho vs. Botswana
1. Conceptual - depoliticizes problems by turning or reducing poverty etc. into technical
problems (anti-politics machine), it defines the
IDST 200A lecture 10 - 11/25/09
Case study - Development and the State in Southern Africa
Chambers and Urban Bias
- Today we see just as much squalor in urban areas, but that is partially because of
urban bias. Millions have fled impoverished rural condit
IDST 200A lecture 2 - 9/23/09
Contextualizing the Study of Development
Terms such as development are contested. There are no straightforward definitions.
Development: plastic term a term that once had a very precise meaning, but eventually
became part of
IDST 200A lecture 11 - 12/2/09
Development and the State in southern Africa
- The Anti-politics Machine is pre-Neoliberal, however some of the ideas have an
elective affinity with neoliberalism.
- Really interested in development as an institutio