SOCI 215B lecture 20 - 3/29/10
Your research proposal: methodologies; methods; ethical considerations
Methodology: a set of rules and procedure that indicates how research is to be
conducted. Methodologies are selcted by the researcher to support their r
CHAPTER 1) RESEARCH METHODS
Authority: whenever we accept the validity of information from a source we
judge to be expert, then we are relying on authority as a source of our knowledge
Benefits: As children we are influenced by and believe what our parent
SOCI 215B lecture 4 - 10/5/09
Review of Foundations of Social Research: Researcher Choices and Responsibilities
- Pay attention to Kirby et al. chapter on research ethics. Hierarchies of consent,
especially for research in a school. Minors are under 18, r
Qualitative Exam Study Notes
- To broaden understanding of why women initiate smoking, why these behaviours are
sustained over time in spite of their exposure to considerable messaging.
Whats novel about the study?
- the influence of y
Study notes for mid-term
- Informal knowledge is through personal experience and observation.
- Formal knowledge is a structured, systematic way of knowing.
- Naive realism: most of what we know is what we have been socialized to know. The
SOCI 215B lecture 10 - 12/7/09
Quantitative Data Analysis
*identify quantification process
*describe the basics of quantitative data analysis:
-univariate analysis and manipulation (re-coding/collapsing categories)
SOCI 215B lecture 6 - 11/9/09
Quantitative Research: Composite measures, Measurement Quality, Variables and their
level of measurement
Variables and Attributes
- conceptualization and operationalization can be seen as the specification of variables
SOCI 215B lecture 5 - 11/2/09
Quantifying Social Phenomenon: Conceptualization, Operationalization and
Four Purposes of Research
Exploration, Description, Explanation and Social Change (Kirby et al.)
- Preempt critics in research proposals by
SOCI 215B lecture 21 - 4/5/10
Your research proposal: anticipating what your data will say; implications for social
The description of the literature I reviewed here appears in Appendix A, and the
abstracts for the literature appear in Appendix B.
SOCI 215B lecture 14 - 2/1/10
Conducting Field Research: Participatory Action Research
For proposal: identify potential collaborators and why might their support be valuable or
necessary. Who might be stakeholders?
Collaborative Research goals:
SOCI 215B lecture 7 - 11/16/09
Sampling in Quantitative Research
- refers to the process of selecting subjects or participants
Sampling in Social Research
Element: that unit about which information is collected and that provides the ba
SOCI 215B lecture 18 - 3/15/10
Research Proposal requirements
- Okay to write proposal in first person
- 5-6 articles for lit review
- Include keywords that were used to find other articles for the lit search.
Put this under the title.
- Introduction will
A system of ethics is a set if standards governing the conduct of a person in
the members of a profession. Researchers are obligated to follow the code if ethics
established by the APA. They must 1) treat human research participants with