GEO 307 (Petrology), Spring 2011
Review Questions for Chapter 7
Danielle Brand 3/7/ 11
1. The weight fraction of anorthite in the liquid is roughly 23%, diopside is roughly
20%, and forsterite is roughly 56%.
2. The variance at 1800 C is F=3-1+1=3. The in
Review Questions and Problems for Chapter 5:
An Introduction to Thermodynamics
1. The value of the molar Gibbs free energy of formation of quartz (SiO 2) from Si
(metal) and O2 (gas) is -856.3 kJ/mol. The large, negative value of th
Review Questions and Problems for Chapter 2:
Classification and Nomenclature of Igneous Rocks
1. The three principal categories of igneous rocks are:
Phaneritic most crystals in this rock are readily visible with the naked eye. Thi
Review Questions and Problems for Chapter 4:
Igneous Structures and Field Relationships
1. Magma viscosity increases with a higher concentration of SiO2. This is because
viscosity depends on the amount of polymerized silica content
GEO 307 (Petrology), Spring 2011, HW 1 (Chapter 1)
1. Igneous rocks are recognized based on both field criteria as well as textural
criteria. In the field, igneous bodies may be crosscut the country rock. Additionally,
plutonic bodies may e
Concentration concentration in n in CI
Bum. View west zoo; mm LATERAL macaw? qu B. WPOGRAPHIC MAP (20 points tots!) Foliowing is 3 mp of Vance Lake
which contains numerous points (devatims) but no contour lines. Using the C .1.
indicated, cordon: the map ( 3
Constructing a Columnar Section from a Geologic Cross Section
Figure 2.12 is a schematic geologic cross section based
on the mapping of different outcrops from several localities in a geographic area covering about 10 square
PLM. This is determined using the
difference in arrival time between
p and s waves and the known p and
s wave velocities.
Differences in rock types, occurrence of
Yes. The flow lines intersect the dump
before flowing through the Jones well.
Yes. The flow lines show that
this is an effluent stream in which
the stream is being fed by groundwater
contaminated by seepage from the
This is unlikely since pollutants
WATER RESOURCES/POLLUTION (CHAPTER 10)
The amount of fresh water stored in glaciers is many times greater than the amount of
The amount of water in groundwater is much less than that in rivers and lakes. F
The amount of groundwat
What characteristics define a mineral? (pick all that apply)
b. Regular crystalline structure
c. Specific chemical composition
d. Naturally occuring
Pyrite tends to form in the shape of a cube. This is an example of the minerals
b. Crystal Ha
According to Bowen's Reaction Series, which mineral crystalizes last?
What is the most important factor in controlling grain size of an igneous rock?
b. cooling rate
Which of the following rocks is not foliated?
Ragtime a mix of African American and White folk music, popular music, and art
music left hand kept steady two-beat and right created contrasting rhythmic
Don Redmans arrangements launched big-band jazz
Unique aspects of New Orleans Ja
Two types of Blues:
1 Country Blues
- Folk elements (e.g. field hollers, work songs)
2 Classic Blues
- Blues crossed over into pop music
- Jazz musicians became involved
- Ma Rainey
- More standardized than country blues
- Arranged and orchestra
1. Earthquakes most commonly occur:
At plate boundaries
2. To locate the epicenter of an earthquake, the only information you need is the
amplitude of the P-wave arrival.
3. Surface waves _:
Cause the most damage to buildings during eart
1. Which of the following is NOT associated with a convergent plate boundary?
mid-ocean ridge Correct
2. What did the presence of ancient glacial features in Africa, South America, India and Australia
suggest to Wegener?
Those continents were once located
Chord - A chord is a combination of two or more notes
Syncopation - A rhythmic accent that contradicts the basic beat; central to jazz
Stop-time the band stops momentarily while one soloist plays
Polyrhythm - Two or more layers of rhythm occ
Melody A series of single musical tones (notes)
Chords(Harmony) A chord is a combination of three or more notes
Improvisation A jazz ensemble improvises (compose music spontaneously)
- One of the foundations of jazz
- Based in the blues sc
1. What accounts for more than 99% of the mass of our solar system?
2. Which of the following are the two most abundant elements in the universe?
hydrogen and helium
3. Atoms that are heavier than iron are generally produced by:
The explosion of s