Study Questions for Dr. Santas PHIL-2030
For James Rachels Text: Elements of Moral Philosophy, 7th edition
Chapter One: What is Morality?
1. Explain the baby Theresa example and why it was controversial. What is the Benefits Argument and
how does it compa
Chapter Two: The Challenge of Cultural Relativism
1. What is the Cultural Difference Argument? Why is it an appealing theory? Explain, using at least one of Rachels
examples (funerary practices of Greeks and Callatians; infanticide and geronicide amongst
Chapter Six: The Social Contract Theory
1. What is Social Contract Theory? Explain Hobbes account of the social contract.
2. What are some of the advantages of the theory, according to Rachels? Explain. What are some of
the disadvantages? Explain.
Chapters Nine and Ten: Are There Absolute Moral Rules? / Kant and Respect for Persons
1. Explain the two formulations of the Kantian "categorical imperative" using the concept of absolute
moral rules in chapter 9 and that of respect for persons in chapter