The study of humanity, holistic in that it includes all aspects of the human experience
The single purposed of anthropology is, the scientific
Anthropology is divided into 4 fields
Physical deals with humans biology
Archaeology attempts to
Revitalization movements occur in times of cultural stress brought about by rapid
change, foreign domination and perceived deprivation.
- Happens in societies under colonial domination
- Happens in an attempt to bring about change in society
Vo- means introspection
du- means into the unknown
Instead haitians refer to themselves as following or serving the loa.
voodoo ritual practitioners Chofe or heating up to bring about possession
What is a zombie?
- an animated corpse that feeds on living human flesh.
- In voodoo, a social control mechanism.
A virus or not?
- Solanum - the virus
- fact or fantasy?
- Brooks implies that this virus is real and can travel through the bloodst
Which Witch Is Wtich?
- this lecture will deal with two completely different aspects of witchcraft Stereotypes vs.
Reality. In addition we will be discussing religious intolerance.
All socities must have explanation for crises
Whenever pain, illness and
There are such beings as vampires, some of us have evidence that they exist.
- Bram Stokers Dracula- Chapter 18: Mina Harkers Journal - 30 September
Are evil-doers whose souls harm people
are able to multiply by contamination, ie: give blood to contami
States of Mind
Altered states of consciousness are mental experiences that transcend ordinary experiences such
as a trance.
In its simplest sense, an altered state of consciousness is any mental state that differs from the
Gods and Spirits
Animism Spirit in all things, magic-control, shamans, spirits/ghosts
Animatism Religion-Gods, souls, Priests, Prophets, Life Force Permeates through all things
Science Easier, force, (responsibility)
An individual supernatura
An object, gesture, word or other representation to which an arbitrary shared meaning is
A religious system may be viewed as a cluster of sacred symbols Geertz
Minimally, a symbol is thought of as something that represents something
Prophets, Priests and Shamans
Can be men or women
Ritual practitioners whose status is acquired through a personal communication from a
Perform curing rites for the benefit of one or more patients and within a context of
1. The workplace is less diverse and more complex than it was a few decades ago.
2. Technology eliminates the need for multicultural awareness.
3. Scientific management identifies the most efficient and effective manner f