See also Database, management systems.
Reduced instruction set computer, See RISC.
Redundant array of independent disks, See RAID.
Redundant bits, 77
See also Check bits and Parity.
in disk drives, 307308
Context switching, 360361
defined, 360, 367
See also Operating systems.
hardwired versus microprogrammed, 27, 179182
Control Data Corporation (CDC), 19, 22
CDC 6600 supercomputer, 24
CEN (Comite Europeen de Normalisation), 11
Central processing unit (CPU)
arithmetic logic unit (ALU) 146, 147
basics and organization, 145157
control unit, 146, 147
See also Control unit.
data path, 146
9. a) Class B
b) Class C
c) Class A
11. a) We will assume that no options are set in the TCP or IP headers and ignore any
session shutdown messages. There are 20 bytes in the TCP header and 20 bytes in
the IP header. For a file size of
Alternative architectures (continued)
parallel systems, See Parallel architectures.
RISC, See RISC.
Amdahls law, 3031, 274275, 452
Analytical Engine, See Babbage, Charles.
gate, 102, 104
ANSI (American National Standards Institute), 11
to the server after a given delay. This maintains the speed increase, but means that if
the server crashes before the new data is flushed, some data may be lost. This is a
good example to illustrate that performance improvements often come at a price.
Answers and Hints for
1. Between hardware and software, one provides more speed, the other provides more
flexibility. (Which one is which?) Hardware and software are related through the
Principle of Equivalence of Hardware and
1. RISC machines limit the instructions that can access memory to load and store
instructions only. This means all other instructions use registers. This requires fewer
cycles and speeds up the execution
3. Hint: think about the types of things that cause unpredictable reaction times. (How
might a memory access be delayed, for example?)
5. If processes share a specific set of resources, it might be reasonable to group them as
13. Program Address
1. Hint: Consider how Amdahls Law applies.
3. a) Choose the CPU upgrade. This will cost $42.14 per 1% improvement versus
$58.40 for the di
Content Knowledge, Skills, and Attitudes Gained in the Teaching Certificate Program at
- A Program Evaluation -
Prepared for the Center for Teaching
Mark Bryant and Christopher Rowe
Peabody College for Education
Sourcebook of criminal justice statistics Online
Estimated percent distribution of personal and property incidents
By type of crime and place of occurrence, United States, 2008a
Place of occ