1. Why is analysis of the broad environment important for effective strategic management?
Successful organizations stay abreast of changes in their external environments to predict trends,
anticipate concerns, and generate ideas. These activities l
1. Why were hospitality firms some of the first to internationalize?
2. What are some of the outcomes from increasing global interdependence among companies? Why
might a firm want to pursue internationalization?
3. How does the structure of an eco
1. What are the strategic management responsibilities of a business-unit manager? Explain what
each of these responsibilities entails.
Direction setting: Establishment and communication of mission, vision, ethics, and long-term
goals of a single bu
1. What are some of the key forces influencing strategic direction in an organization? What is
structural inertia, and how can it lead a successful firm to failure?
Strategic direction should be established based, in part, on an analysis of the int
1. Returning to Chapter 2 (Table 2.4), review the definitions of the following interorganizational
relationships: joint ventures, networks, consortia, alliances, trade groups, and interlocking directorates.
2. What is a tourism cluster? Provide exa
1. What is the difference between revenue expenditure and a capital expenditure? Do these differences
matter when you determine their value-creation potential? What are some examples of each?
- A revenue expenditure is an amount that is expensed im
Accounting Terms and Applications
Accrual and Cash Accounting:
The main difference is the timing of when the accounts are recognized. Cash accounting
is mostly used by small companies or personal financing, it uses revenue for when money
is receives and
Accounting Terms and Applications
Merchandising operations and inventory systems
The merchandising operations are the purchasing, selling, collecting and payment
activities. They are designed to make a better operation cash flow. Using these operations wi
1. What is entrepreneurship, and why is it important?
2. What are some of the characteristics of entrepreneurs? Are you that sort of person? Do you know
anyone who would be a good entrepreneur?
3. Describe the entrepreneurial tasks.
4. What does a
1. Describe the three basic corporate-level strategies.
Concentration: Continued emphasis on one business area
Vertical Integration: Involvement in multiple stages of the industry supply chain
Related Diversification: Involvement in multiple busine
Cultural anthropologists do ethnographies they go to live with people and they write about
them; like reporters but more theory, less drama. For this assignment, you will become a visual
Write a 5-7 page paper comparing 3 images of similar concepts but different meaning.
Use at least 1 quote from 2 of any of your readings, or you may do outside research as
well, if you like. (That means, 2 readings, 1 quote from each.)
Betsey Johnson & Christian Siriano
Designer #1 Betsy Johnson- The Eighteenth Century, 70s & 80s.
! Betsey Johnson began her career in the 1960s. Her exuberant and original styles developed in
the fashion capital in the world, New York City. She began her
Designer #2 Christian Siriano- Ancient Rome, Ancient Greece
! Christian Siriano is well known for being on the hit fashion television show
Project Runway, but before that he was a fashion genius. He began designing at
just thirteen. He attended the Baltim