Marxism reading questions
John Cassidy, The Return of Karl Marx
1. What does Cassidy think is the basic insight of Karl Marx?
2. Which part of the Communist Manifesto does Cassidy think was misguided?
3. Where does Marx think power lies in a capitalist so
Week 5 Liberalism - Reading Questions
Michael Doyle, "Kant, Liberal Legacies, and Foreign Affairs"
1. What are the main principles/fundamental rights of liberalism as articulated by Doyle?
2. Kant sets out a particular philosophical challenge; define it a
PSCI 104 Sample Midterm
Instructions: Write clearly. Quantity doesnt mean quality. Think before you write. Budget your
time. The IDs are worth a total of 10 points, the essay questions are worth 15 points each. The
exam totals to 40 points. You have fifty
Rudyard Kipling, "The White Man's burden".
1. According to Kipling, what was the "white man's burden"?
According to Kipling, he believed that White Man was the superior, the
pure, the best of all races so it was their responsibility to help out the
Monday, January 9, 2017
Jean-Jacques Rousseau (1712-78)
Discourse on the Origin of Inequality (1755)
o Two kinds of inequality
o The state of nature
The Social Contract (1762)
o The general will
o What is required
o Liberty, equality an
POLS 250A An Introduction to Political Theory
Monday, September 12, 2016
What is political theory?
Bob is vulnerable and Martha is in a fortunate position where she could help Bob if she
Martha doesnt want to help Bob
Should the g