1) A burette packed with finely divided alumina powder (Al2O3) was used to separate
the components in a plant extract by chromatography. The alumina acts as the
stationary phase and water was used as the
1) A drop that contains a mixture of five amino acids was applied to a thin layer
chromatography plate. The plate was placed in solvent G and the chromatogram,
shown on the right, was obtained.
The Rf values for e
1) Chromatogram A was obtained by analysis of a sample of a mixture of 4 esters, W, X,
Y and Z, using high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC). Chromatogram B
was obtained by analysing another sample of
1) A 34.5g sample of pure NaCl was placed in a 250mL volumetric flask. What is the percentage
concentration (w/v) of the salt solution?
2) A solution has a salt concentration of 1.25g/L.
What is its salt concentratio
1) Two different food dye samples, W and Z were compared using thin layer
chromatography as shown below.
a) Calculate the Rf value of W and Z
W = 8.0/9.1 = 0.88, Z =2.5/9.1 = 0.28
b) Which dye
1) A mixture of two compounds, 3-chloro-2-methylpropane and 3-chloro-2-methylbutane
were was analysed using gas chromatography. The chromatogram of this mixture
produced the results below.
Lisachem Materials VCE Chemistry 2007 Analytical Test Unit 3
relative atomic number
relative atomic mass