Table 1 : Equipment maintenance hours and costs.
Hours of maintenance service
Equipment Maintenance costs
The old manual way
High risk of making mistakes
Waste of paper (not environmentally friendly, costly and
Less visually appealing
Minicase 1 : Word Document
The main benefit of calculating with excel is that the calculations are fast and efficient. The only
way to make a mistake in the process is to mistype the primary data. Each time you change the
value of a cell all the calculati
Technology in Action
Using the Internet:
Making the Most of the Webs Resources
Origin of the Internet
Internet is a network of networks connecting billions of computers globally
Developed while U.S. was in midst of Cold War with
Office Final Exam Review
1. The keystroke marks in the document that represent the end of a paragraph, a tab, or a space are
a) nonprinting characters.
b) keystroke characters.
c) hidden characters.
d) nonviewing characters.
2. What butt
All of the following are tasks performed by the operating system EXCEPT:
managing hardware on the computer.
controlling the way application programs work with the CPU.
performing housekeeping tasks like file compression
1) Being _ means being familiar enough with computers that you understand their
capabilities and limitations.
A) technology literate
B) computer savvy
C) computer literate
D) computer competent
2) All of the following are examples of real security an
- Application software: software you use to do everyday tasks at home and at
- System software: set of programs that helps run the computer and
coordinates instructions between application software an
Technology in Action
Behind the Scenes:
Databases and Information Systems
Life without databases
Database building blocks
Database management systems
Relational database operations
Which of the following transfers data faster?
Which of the following is not one of the MAJOR four functions of a computer?
It allows users to input data.
It stores data and information.
It transfers data and informati
Su b mit
Qu e s t io n 1 :
A _ is a netw ork located in your home that is used to connect all of
your digital devices.
Qu e s t io n 2 :
WPA stands for _.
Professors M. Rossin and R. Saad
Fundamentals of IT and Business Productivity
The purpose of this assignment it to have Excel calculate the requirements automatically
through formulas and/or functions. You need to enter as much of the above inform
Chapter 4 (Key Terms):
- Application software: tasks at home, school and work. Ex: writing letters,
sending emails, paying taxes, creating presentations, etc.
- System software: help run the computer and coordinate in
- The Internet: a network of networks. Created for military purposes during
the midst of the Cold War. The modern Internet evolved from the Advanced
Research Projects Agency Network (ARPANET). The Web is o
- Moores Law: described the pace at which CPUs improve.
- Internal hard drives are not easy for novices to install in a notebook, but if
you have a fast transfer port like an external SATA (eSATA) or
DESC- CHAPTER 2
- Gathers data, processes data into information, outputs data and information
and stores data and information.
- Data: fact, figure or idea. Ex: the names Zoe and Richardson, the
1) In a spreadsheet, the columns and rows form individual boxes called _.
2) _ is the applied science concerned with designing and arranging things that people
use so that the people and things interact mo
A computer is a data processing device that performs four major functions:
1. It gathers data, or allows users to input data.
2. It processes that data into information.
3. It outputs data and information.
4. It stores data and information