Chapter 5: The OS, Utility Programs, and File Management
Application software: Is the software you use to do everyday tasks at home and at work.
System software: Is the set of programs that helps run the computer and coordinates
41) The W of the operating system is the features of the program that allow the user to
communicate with the computer system.
C) modem .
D) network adapter card
42) Personal desktop computers use a operating system.
A) real—time I
’ A Ssart the'list with the <0l> tag.
Sam the list with the <nl> tag.
C) 81am the list with the <number> tag.
D) Start the list with the <li> tag.
§ To create a numbered list on your Web page, you would:
40. This dstorrnincs how small you want to compress
/'-D 79. Which ofthe foiiowing terminals is not capabie of processing data?
' dumb terminal lnternet terminai
@intelligent terminal network computer
80 Which ofﬂie
following pointing devices are used most often on microcomputers?
33) Software designed for a specific industry is known as software.
C) general business
D) project management
34) Web-based application software is software that:
A) allows you to create Web pages.
B) is installed by the com
25) In a database, a table is a collection of related
26) Microsoft Works is an exampieof a(n)
A) software suite.
B) personal information manager.
C) limited software edition. -
@ntegrated software application package.
27) An examp
17) The , housed inside the system unit, regulates the wall voltage to the voltages
required by the computer chips.
® power supply
18) is a form of permanent rnemor;r that holds all the instructions the computer
needs to start
connects a device,. lilo-e a kayboard, to the system unit.
24. This utility soﬁware can be used 10 promo: yourﬁ
secure e-mai l massages:
\351} lnismet Explorer.
B) Netscape Communicator,
I5. Mn) , enables many people to simultaneously use the resources of a central computer such as
A.) personal operating'system
Bl .-mulﬁ-user operazing system
u} network operating system
object-oriented Operating system
l6. The .gov, .com, .ne
9) keys move your cursor.
® Cursor control
' C) Navigation
10) A(n) . uses an internal sensor or laser to detect thernouse's movement.
A) MoGo mouse
' ' B) Wireless mouse
11) A printer‘s determines
7. You connect up to l27 devices on one
8. This is a digizai representation of sound
of these types ofports:
s, in which sampies of a sound are captured a:
intervals and stored as unique sequences :1st and ls; ,
v use; controllable display screen that aiIOWs the user to communicate with the computer is
I' ' a; A} Window
' B} ﬂame
33. A type of memory on the CPU w
ready to use them is called:
A} Virtual memory.
M RAM cache
64) CPU speed is measured in
D) bits per second (bps).
65) When your computer is using virtual memory, the operating system builds a file called the
page file on the
66) The amount of RAM' that is
91 . What is the pointing device normally found on the keyboardloi‘ laptop computers that looks like a pencii eraser
a. trackball c. touch screen
b. touchpad ® pointing stick-
. 92. Which device uses a Eight-sensitive processor chip rocaptore ph
2. The exclusive
- '- .«fex bl groupware '
iegal right that prohibits copying of intellectual propeny without appropriate permission is .
c. software license
-. Software that has
48) Which of the following statements is FALSE?
A) A GUI uses windows which are rectangular boxes displayed on the screen.
B) icons represent an object such as a software application,. a file, or a folder.
C) A GUI uses menus, which are lists of commands
Chapter 4: Application software: Programs that let you work and play
Software: Instructions that tell computer what to do. (Programs)
System software: Includes software such as Windows, Mac OS X, and Operating systems.
Application software: Software you u
Chapter 7: Networking: Connecting computing devices
Computer Network: -Is two or more computers that are connected via software and
that they can communicate with each other.
- Allows the sharing peripheral devi
Chapter 3: Using the internet and making the most of the webs resources.
The Internet: Largest computer network in the world wide.
History: Created during the cold war to develop and establish military
Funded by ARPANET
Chapter 2: Understanding Parts
Computers four major functions:
1. It gathers data, or allows users to input data.
2. It processes that data into information.
3. It outputs data and information.
4. It stores data and information.
Data: 18509 Poitiers Vince
Chapter 9: Protecting your Computer
Keeping Data Safe:
Cybercrime: Crimes performed through the use of a computer.
Cybercriminals: Criminals who use computers, networks, and Internet to perpetrate
Computer Threats: Computer Viruses
Chapter 6: Evaluating and Assessing Hardware
Moore's Laws: Describes the rate at which the CPU evolves.
Express Card Slot: Laptop slot for SD card (extra memory)
System Evaluation: Evaluation to see if system meets your needs.
Core: CPU pro
Royal Victoria Hospital Software
Comittee Members Ratings of Vendors
For: Dr. Raafat Saade
By: Vincent De Marinas ID: 7198442
Written using pencil and paper
Long and exhausting
Writing down every value manually
Calculating every solution m
Vincent De Marinis
Dr. Raafat Saade
DESC 200: Fundamentals of Information Technology
Due: April 11th 2014
Mini Case 1: Benefits of Spreadsheet Software
Imagine creating a spreadsheet traditionally, containing large amounts of data, using a
Excel: Part 1: Intro to Spreadsheets:
Spreadsheet Program: Computer program used to create and edit spreadsheets.
Spreadsheet: Electronic file that contains a grid of columns and rows containing related data
Workbook: File containing related worksheets (B
Part 1: Intro to Access:
Every time you are asked to input data, you are accessing a database.
Examples: Google, eBay and Abercrombie
Object: Main component that is created and used to make the database function.
Four main object types are tables, queries
56) Which of the following statements concerning the Windows Recycle Bin is TRUE?
A) Piles deleted from your flash drive reside in the Recycle Bin.
13) The Recycle Bin is a folder on the A drive.
C) Once a file is moved to the Recycle Bin, the file is aut