1. Give a definition of conversational implicatures and show how one can "flout"
flank a maxim. Give examples.
What is said includes what is implied; what is implied is not necessarily included.
Intuitive understanding of the meaning od say in such contex
1. Describe the main neuronal circuits and areas identified by Berwick et al. (2013) as
supporting language representation and processes.
There are two dorsal pathways, one involving Brodmann area (BA 44 Brocas area
activated by itself when processing ar
As mentioned above (see "Note"), some of the following questions will appear in the
'Short Essays' part of the exam. Prepare them all as you (re-)read the assigned papers and
review the slides.
1. Elaborate on ways in which human language is uniquely diff
French has two verbs which can be translated by the English verb "to know": savoir andconnatre.
This can be confusing to English speakers, but in fact there are distinct differences in meaning and
usage for the two verbs.
Savoir has three possible meaning
Thematic roles in Alzheimers patients
Order/ ranking of roles
When you have one argument missing then the thematic role has to be a different one
Determined are assigned to real world positions
Not just syntactic positions because it plays di
1. What seems to be the role of the right hemisphere in language
(representation/processing)? Please cite/mention specific studies and phenomena.
RIGHT HEMISPHERE main function is to analyze information in a holistic fashion.
1) Interpret and allows disco