THEO 315 / 4
Wednesday: 1:15 - 4:00pm
Prof. Dr. Andr Gagn
Office: D-202; Tel: 848-2424 ext. 2993
Email: [email protected]
Office hrs: by appointment
GOSPELS AND ACTS
In this course, students will be in
- keywords will be regularly updated every week.
Beginnings of the Jesus Story
Jesus stories specifically in Mark will be discussed.
The Iliad and the Odyssey were part of the cultural baggage of the time.
Homer is qu
- Mid-term (in approx. 2 weeks): will need to define 10-15 key terms.
- provide evidence of your understanding of these terms.
- Sayings of Jesus
- from his sayings, additive (narrative) material was added to the sayings.
- later sayi
What is the Gospel? (continued)
- proclamation of 'good news', which is defined in different contexts; good news could
have applied to
revelations, conquests, war, etc.
- Mark is the only person who calls this form of text a 'gospel'.
Re-cap on the Gospel of Thomas and the Synoptic Tradition
- Saying 114
- Simon Peter, understood to be the chief of the Apostles.
- interpreted to mean that women shouldn't be part of the disciples.
- to enter the Kingdom of Heaven fo
- THEO315 keywords have been updated.
- Mid-term: there will be 10-15 keywords on the exam.
- you can bring a Bible, but no personal notes.
- for the second part of the exam, you might need your Bible.
- everything revie
- Final (take-home) exam will be on March 23rd.
- the keywords have been updated on Moodle.
- same structure as the previous exam, but with more keywords.
- most of the material studied up until March 23rd will be on the
- discussing the origins of biblical texts and their respective history.
- required text: Harper Collins Study Bible. New Revised Standard Edition
- try to avoid citations from the King James Version of the Bible.
- interpreted with m
- 2nd midterm in a couple of weeks, encompasses the material covered from this
Gospel Literary Genres
- Form, and why is it important?
- The New Testament is comprised of many 'genres'.
- the technical literary genre for the
THEO 315/4: Gospels and Acts
Prof. Dr. Andr Gagn
Achilles: The Greek hero of the Trojan War and main character and warrior of Homer's Iliad.
His parents were named Thetis and Peleus. His greatest feat was to kill Hector, the