A computer is a data processing device that performs four major functions:
1. It gathers data, or allows users to input data.
2. It processes that data into information.
3. It outputs data and information.
4. It stores data and information
By Melina Falletta
Excel is great for:
Mostly helpful with
o Annual household budget
o Sales projection
o Inventory records
Manual Filing Disadvantages
To buy or to Upgrade?
- A rule of thumb often cited in the computer industry, called Moore's Law, describes the pace at which
- When deciding whether to upgrade or buy new consider:
- Moore's Law
- Cost of upgrading vs. buying
By: Melina Falletta
Disadvantages of Manual Filing
o Manual Filing can be
confusing, frustrating and
disorganized if there is a
lot of data and information
Mistakes that can occur:
Placing invalid information for
a particular employee
- Computer network: two or more connected computers
- Node: Any device connected to a network
- Benefits of computer networking
- Facilitates resource sharing
- High-speed internet connections
- Peripheral devices such as
Computer Threats: Cybercrimes
Cybercrimes are criminal acts conducted by cybercriminals through the use of computers.
- Computer users need to protect themselves from becoming victims of cybercriminals
Types of cybercrime
56) Which of the following statements concerning the Windows Recycle Bin is TRUE?
A) Piles deleted from your flash drive reside in the Recycle Bin.
13) The Recycle Bin is a folder on the A drive.
C) Once a file is moved to the Recycle Bin, the file is aut
65. Which device converts imag
(3% a. printer
b. scanner 1 u. 3 fax
66. A ’0er represents
(a) one character c. astring
es and sends them to the same kind of device over a teiephone ﬁne?
0. eight characters d. binary large object
67. )1 byte
48) Which of the following statements is FALSE?
A) A GUI uses windows which are rectangular boxes displayed on the screen.
B) icons represent an object such as a software application,. a file, or a folder.
C) A GUI uses menus, which are lists of commands
2. The exclusive
- '- .«fex bl groupware '
iegal right that prohibits copying of intellectual propeny without appropriate permission is .
c. software license
-. Software that has
41) The W of the operating system is the features of the program that allow the user to
communicate with the computer system.
C) modem .
D) network adapter card
42) Personal desktop computers use a operating system.
A) real—time I
’ A Ssart the'list with the <0l> tag.
Sam the list with the <nl> tag.
C) 81am the list with the <number> tag.
D) Start the list with the <li> tag.
§ To create a numbered list on your Web page, you would:
40. This dstorrnincs how small you want to compress
/'-D 79. Which ofthe foiiowing terminals is not capabie of processing data?
' dumb terminal lnternet terminai
@intelligent terminal network computer
80 Which ofﬂie
following pointing devices are used most often on microcomputers?
33) Software designed for a specific industry is known as software.
C) general business
D) project management
34) Web-based application software is software that:
A) allows you to create Web pages.
B) is installed by the com
25) In a database, a table is a collection of related
26) Microsoft Works is an exampieof a(n)
A) software suite.
B) personal information manager.
C) limited software edition. -
@ntegrated software application package.
27) An examp
17) The , housed inside the system unit, regulates the wall voltage to the voltages
required by the computer chips.
® power supply
18) is a form of permanent rnemor;r that holds all the instructions the computer
needs to start
connects a device,. lilo-e a kayboard, to the system unit.
24. This utility soﬁware can be used 10 promo: yourﬁ
secure e-mai l massages:
\351} lnismet Explorer.
B) Netscape Communicator,
I5. Mn) , enables many people to simultaneously use the resources of a central computer such as
A.) personal operating'system
Bl .-mulﬁ-user operazing system
u} network operating system
object-oriented Operating system
l6. The .gov, .com, .ne
9) keys move your cursor.
® Cursor control
' C) Navigation
10) A(n) . uses an internal sensor or laser to detect thernouse's movement.
A) MoGo mouse
' ' B) Wireless mouse
11) A printer‘s determines
7. You connect up to l27 devices on one
8. This is a digizai representation of sound
of these types ofports:
s, in which sampies of a sound are captured a:
intervals and stored as unique sequences :1st and ls; ,
v use; controllable display screen that aiIOWs the user to communicate with the computer is
I' ' a; A} Window
' B} ﬂame
33. A type of memory on the CPU w
ready to use them is called:
A} Virtual memory.
M RAM cache
64) CPU speed is measured in
D) bits per second (bps).
65) When your computer is using virtual memory, the operating system builds a file called the
page file on the
66) The amount of RAM' that is
91 . What is the pointing device normally found on the keyboardloi‘ laptop computers that looks like a pencii eraser
a. trackball c. touch screen
b. touchpad ® pointing stick-
. 92. Which device uses a Eight-sensitive processor chip rocaptore ph
'Module 1: Looking at Computers - Understanding the Parts. You have time 00:30:00.
1 1. Mn} drive reads from, and possibly writes to, CDs, DVDs, or Blu—ray discs.
@khser ﬁnite @Cmplical gmhard ghﬂoneofthearsmrs
2 1. When ratiﬁed,