COMM 222- Long Answer Questions
1) The need for achievement appears in McClellands non-hierarchical need theory of
motivation that outlines the conditions under which certain needs result in particular
patterns of motivation. Certain characteristics that
Chapter 7 Groups & Teamwork
A group is two or more people interacting interdependently to achieve a common goal.
Interaction is the most basic aspect of a group. Interdependence simply means that group
members rely to some degree o
1) Which of the following is not a trait?
A) Emergent leadership
B) Low intelligence
E) High energy
Page Ref: 300
2) Which of the following is not a trait that might be investigated in le
1) Which motive for conformity most clearly involves effect dependence?
Page Ref: 262
2) If I conform to my boss's wishes because
1) Temporarily organized groups that are formed to achieve particular goals or solve particular problems are
A) task forces.
B) work groups.
C) self-managed teams.
D) informal groups.
Page Ref: 226
1) Piece rate pay systems
A) are most effective when applied to white-collar jobs.
B) usually increase cooperation among workers on peripheral, nonproduction tasks (for example, keeping
the shop clean).
C) are especially useful when few obj
1) Effort, persistence, and direction are basic components of
Page Ref: 152
2) According to the text, which of the following is not a basic ch
1) In which of the following is work viewed as most important and central in life?
Page Ref: 118
2) According to Geert Hofstede's research, the most masculine
1) Which of the following statements most accurately defines "perception"?
A) Perception is the tendency to generalize about people and ignore variations between individuals.
B) Perception is reality.
C) Perception is the process by which mo
1) An individual's personality encompasses
A) all aspects of the individual's physical and emotional response to their environment.
B) behaviours which are mostly learned through childhood experience.
C) a relatively stable set of psychologi
1) Organizations in a _ environment must generally exhibit more change to be effective than those
operating in a more _ environment.
A) stable; open
B) stable; dynamic
C) dynamic; hostile
D) open; hostile
E) dynamic; stable
1) By definition, open systems
A) provide an open forum for interest groups.
B) provide easy information access to outsiders.
C) have no barriers against membership.
D) interact with their environments.
E) All of the above.
1) The vertical division of labour is best characterized by terms such as
A) span of control, size, formalization.
B) differentiation, job design, matrix.
C) functional, product, geographic.
D) president, manager, worker.
E) finance, prod
1) In order to stimulate conflict, a manager might
A) clarify goals.
B) make resources scarcer.
C) assign a superordinate goal.
D) ignore controversy.
E) stop networking.
Page Ref: 455
2) One way to stimulate
1) Power is defined as
A) a process of antagonism that occurs when one person or organizational subunit frustrates the goal
attainment of another.
B) the joint occurrence of antagonism and blocked goals.
C) using influence to obtain ends n
1) The well-structured problem does not exhibit which of the following characteristics?
A) existing state is clear
B) uncertainty about what to do
C) certainty about what to do
D) desired state is clear
E) problem is repetitive and famili
1) Communication is defined as
A) understanding between people.
B) a method of persuasion.
C) the exchange of information.
D) the encoding of information.
E) the flow of information down an organizational hierarchy.
1) The most important goal of virtually all organizations is
A) employee development.
C) increased productivity.
E) cost reduction.
Page Ref: 5
2) Organization survival is often dependent