Lecture 1: Intro
Environmental Issues are mainly due to social aspects
Types of Solutions:
- Reformists: stick to status quo
- Radicals: change and challenge current system
We put too much emphasis on making money and not enough on environmental consequen
Poli 3385 Global Environmental Regimes
Nov 1, 2012
Poli of Consumption ctd:
- Are there political actions that can change our livestyle chocies?
- Voluntary Simplicity = began w/ emphasis on individ. Action to limit ones income
and/or consumption on a vo
POLI 3385 Review
Nov 29 2012
Market Based Environmentalism Ctd:
- Privatizing property rights is linked to libertarian views.
- Using market based approaches to award for environmentally sound behaviour. Is
extremely influencial in political debates espec
Poli 3385 Market Based Environmentalism
Continuation on Capitalism
Soviet Experience: didnt face same structural imperatives as in capitalism, why such a poor
- Poor technology, it was less efficient. Commoner states tha
Poli 3385 Environment and Technology
Can we delink economic growth and enviro impact?
- Critics of growth argue that we need to stop pursuit of endless economic expansion
- can continued $ growth be decoupled from greater resource throughput an
Poli 3385 Is capitalism sustainable?
- Production for profit: emphasis on exchange value over use value. Making money is
over meeting needs. If needs cross over with profits then they will be met. Its all
about what will