Comm 3100 Hand in Wednesday October 21 Name:_
Use Empires annual report to answer the following questions:
1. Calculate the average age of Empires assets for buildings and equipment. Interpret.
2. What is the nature of Empire
Ratio analysis and other Chapter 7
Remember, analysis doesnt mean much unless you compare it to either
prior periods or similar companies/industry analysis.
One way to analyze a company using common size statements
Express every line item as a percentage
I wont ask you to PREPARE a cash flow, I want you to be able to interpret
A cash flow statement.
Three different components to the cash flow statement:
Using the indirect method (only one we will discuss in class
Intangible assets-can only capitalize if certain criteria are met
(future economic benefit, technical feasibility, financing in
When you do capitalize, it can only be up to what the future
economic benefit is expected to be ie what you can sell the
Review Class: Clarke Inc
1. Cash has significantly improved from the prior period. Why?
2. Why do you think short term debt has declined so much?
3. In note 15, they talk about short term debt being collateralized by marketable securities. What
For next class I will post something to pass in for class on BB Learn re
pension/benefits moving on to chapter 15
November 16th Class Employee Future Benefits
Project: NOT a written report
Powerpoint slides with speaker notes
You can hand in a separate ex
Different ways to account for inventory valuation:
Most common are FIFO and weighted average:
FIFO first in first out old costs are first assigned to COGS
More recent costs are left on the balance sheet in ending inventory
If costs are rising, under FIFO
Comm 3100 for hand in during Wednesdays class (October) Name_
Please take a picture of your responses or make a copy as I will be taking this in at the beginning of class.
1. Explain (not just name) two reasons why cash flow at Dalhousie was higher than n