Geometric Optics: THIN LENS Multiple Choice Concept Questions
1) Lenses that are thickest at the center called
A) converging lenses
B) diverging lenses
2) Lenses that are thinner at the center than the edges are called
A) converging lenses
B) diverging le
Physics 104 Sample Test 1
Duration: 75 minutes
Note the following directions:
Only a basic scientific calculator is allowed no other electronic devices are permitted
Show all steps in calculations and include units throughout!
Numerical answers to even Giancoli, 7th Ed problems:
4. 1.4x1010 years; 4.4x1017 s
8. 2.1 m2
16. 3.76 m
18c. 0.278 m/s = 1 km/h OR 1 m/s = 3.6 km/h
24. Approximately 4x1014 kg
8a. 5.3 m/s
b. 1.8 m/s
18. 6.52 m/s
b. 8.45104 Km/h2
Unit Conversion Review
Quantity of Substance
Geometric Optics: REFRACTION Multiple Choice Concept Questions
1) Light travels fastest
A) in a vacuum
C) through glass
B) through water
D) through diamond
2) For all transparent material substances, the index of refraction
A) is less than 1
B) is greater
Chapter 19: DC Circuits & Kirchoffs Laws
1) When resistors are connected in series,
A) the same power is dissipated in each one.
B) the potential difference across each is the same.
C) the current flowing in each is the same.
D) More than one of the given
Chapters 16 & 17: Electric Fields & Electric Potential
1) Which of the following is not a vector?
A) electric force
B) electric field
C) electric potential
D) electric line of force
2) Complete the following statement: The electron volt is a unit of
Chapter 16: Electric Fields and Coulombs Law
1) Materials in which the electrons are bound very tightly to the nuclei are referred to as
2) A negatively charged rod is brought near one end o
Chapter 18: Electric Currents & Ohms Law
1) The potential difference between the terminals of a battery, when current flows to an external circuit, is referred
to as the
B) terminal voltage.
2) The total amount of charge that passes through a wire
Geometric Optics: REFLECTION Multiple Choice Concept Questions
1) The angle of incidence
A) must equal the angle of reflection.
B) is always less than the angle of reflection.
C) is always greater than the angle of reflection.
D) may be greater than, less
PHYSICS 104 Highly Suggested Review Problems (Giancoli Chapter 1)
1) A particle has a mass of one milligram. Which of the following indicates the correct mass
A) 1 x 106 g
D) 1 x 10-3 g
B) 1 x 10 g
E) 1 x 10-6 g
C) 1 x 10-1 g
2) Which of the f
Chapter 11: Vibrations and Simple Harmonic Motion
1) A mass on a spring in SHM has amplitude A and a period T. What is the net displacement of the
mass after a time interval T?
2) A mass on a spring in SHM has amplitude A and
BASIC RULES FOR UNCERTAINTY CALCULATIONS
Types of uncertainties:
1) An Absolute Uncertainty is denoted by the symbol and has the same units as the
2) A Relative or Percent Uncertainty is denoted by the symbol and has no units.
To convert back an