New properties of S.pneumoniae help prevent conjunctivitis
Scientist from Massachusetts Eye and Ear/Harvard Medical School Department of
Ophthalmology have discovered new properties of the S.pneumoniae (the strain that mostly
Organic Macro-Molecules and Membranes Assignment
1.What is the most familiar way that atoms and molecules are held together?
The most familiar way atoms and molecules are held together is the covalent bonds
2.How does the energy of a covalent bond compare
The Carbon Cycle
Part Two: The Carbon Cycle
1. List the 6 major reservoirs for carbon, on Earth.
It is stored in rocks, the ocean, atmosphere, plants, soil and fossil fuels
2. Any change in the carbon cycle that shifts carbon out of one reservoir puts mor
1. Our human heart is a muscle. It is about the size of your what?
About the size of your fist.
2. Our human heart is located behind and to the left of our what?
It lies behind and to the left of your breast bone.
3. What is the purpose, or func
1. Blood enters the glomerulus through what blood vessel?
2. Blood exits the glomerulus through what blood vessel?
3. After flowing through the glomerulus, blood goes next to these two blood
Module 5 Unit 4 Assignment 3
1. You can think of all living things, great white sharks, pond scum, potato plants, as what?
You can think of it as molecules as react with each other
2. As you put individual organisms together, they can interact with each o
Why is energy not as tangible (concrete, certain, definite, plainly knowledgeable) to us
as matter? (2 marks)
Energy is an ability. Energy expect for heat has the ability to transform to other kinds of
List four forms of energy and an exampl
Module 5 unit 4 assignment 2
1.Define these terms:
It is turnover or cycling of substances by which a chemical substance moves through both biotic and
abiotic components of earth
The rigid outer part of the earth consistin
Inhibition of Enzymatic Reactions
Enzymes are proteins that serve as catalysts
in biological reactions
Like all catalysts, enzymes increase reacti
Amino acid structures and properties
Titration curves of amino acids
Only 20 amino acids are usually found in
Amino acids have an amino group and a
The R group determines the identity
BUFFERS PS2: Answers!
1. What is the pH of a mixture of 0.25 M acetic acid and 0.25 M sodium acetate?
The pKa of acetic acid is is 4.76.
pH = 4.76. solve in 1 of 2 ways:
1) whenever a 50/50 mixture of a weak acid and its conjugate base (HA and A-) are
Merlina Olimpia Dos Santos
TO : Frank Mirant
Heparin: General characteristics
Is a sulfated glycosaminoglycan
large linear polysaccharides
Produced in the liver
Occur naturally in animals
Also found in lung tissues
Heparin is a sulfated glycosaminoglycan (large linear polysaccharides) that occur
naturally. This drug is one of the main anticoagulants that have been used for long
periods of time, approximately 70 years.
- Discovered by Jay
Nucleic Acid Analysis
Separation of DNA Molecules
DNA Detection Methods
Polymerase Chain Reaction
Separation of DNA
Gel electrophoresis is a technique
which can be used to separate
- Molecules of Life
Bio 173 Molecules of Life
1. Organic vs Inorganic
2. Why Carbon?
3. Structure & Representation
3. Hydrocarbon Nomenclature
4. Functional Groups
6. Enzyme Mediated Reactions
Fundamentals of Chemistry
Bio 173 Characteristics of Life
Periodic Table of Elements
Atomic Number vs Mass Number
Lesson Plan Standard Curve
The purpose of this exercise is to determine the concentration of two unknown samples of Janus Green B.
Part I - Absorption Spectrum of Janus Green B
What is the purpose of an absorption spectrum?
What is needed to produce data
Osmotic Fragility Lesson Plan
Lab Preparation[Notebook and protocol considerations]
Calculation of Volumes [1 % NaCl, dH2O and Blood stock] Needed to Assess Osmotic Fragility [reduce the number of tubes to 7 + blank]
Reminders Growth of E. coli in Petri Plates
Preparation of hardcover lab notebook each student is responsible for preparing his/her own lab
notebook. A guide is provided on Bb.
You will be working in pairs for the next four weeks. Samples will be carri