DNA (deoxyribonucleic acid)
Human DNA is large organic molecule that stores the genetic code. A chemical compound
composed of sugars, phosphates and bases arranged in a double helix shaped molecular structure.
Human DNA contains 3 billion base pairs. Segm
Fossil is the preserved remains of once living things. Fossilization entails the replacement of organic
material with minerals. It usually requires submersion, which must occur before the organism
decomposes. Ordinarily, only bone lasts long enough to fos
Generalized model of speciation
3 types of speciation:
1. Allopatric: populations diverge as a result of geographic isolation
2. Parpatric: populations diverge in different environments within the same geographic range
3. Sympatric: different adaptations
Carolus Linnaeus (1707-1778) is Swedish botanist and physician. He formalized biological
taxonomy, the science of classification. Binomial nomenclature (the formal naming method of
species) originated earlier, but popularized by Linnaeus. He endorsed the
Every member of a species is slightly different.
Individuals = the driving force behind natural selection.
Fitness is relative reproductive success. It measured by an individuals genetic contribution to the
next generation compared to other individuals an
June 14, 2007
Current Events Assignment
Who is the hominid known as the hobbit?
Find a recreation (image) of this what this creature would have
looked like and include it with your answer.
Asexual reproduction, called parthenogenesis (where an unfertilized egg develops into a new
individual) is rare among multicellular organism. Asexual populations can reproduce at double
the rate of sexual ones. Those that do clone usually do so in additio
1. The Growth of Evolutionary Science by Douglas J. Futuyama
1. What is meant by the "great chain of being" or the "scale of nature?" Why would there be no
gaps? What belief co-existed with this notion?
2. Describe the concept of "final cause" and how it