January 25 2013
Growing a Boy (Sambia)
- Maleness is achieved
- Corresponds from stages of bachelorhood to marriage
- Only men can create men (rebirth); male simulation of child birth; fellation
- Gender is not defined as ones external featur
Week of Feb. 11 2013.
Movie: Daughters of Gardners
- Feticide crisis.
- Depreciates women to the point that they cannot even live a few days
- Selective aborting of female foetus
- Quack Doctor service man who portrayed himself as an abortionist.
Marriage Transfers: Explanations
March 4, 6, 8
Marriage involves some transfer of property; the moment of transfers
Continuity of descent group- acquiring wives requires payment as
compensation from husbands (Bridewealth) and Alli
March 11, 2013
Violence Against Women, Continued
Ideological gender based ideas, beliefs, values that underlie practices
Eg, typically male siblings need to protect and control their sisters
Roles are changing (women are working now and som
- Push factors
100hr couple: couples that marry their equal this means that
doctors marry doctors, however they tend to not have children
because they work all the time
- Child care
Miss the important parts of the childs life.
Citizenship and National Identities
- Family role in creating citizens and nationals
- education of consent *Gramsci
- creating moral citizens via pedgagogy, discipline and learning civilities to
- mother role- moral bearer an
The Family and Household
Question: What factors contribute to gender equality (or inequality) within
households and families? (Reading the Vantinai and the Tuareg)
Domestic and public/jural
- Meyer Forts: Domestic and Jural dichotomy demoted t
Global Care Chain: Demands
- Aging population
- Shortage of public care services
- Nuclearization of households
- Double income families
- Work pressure among professionals
- Emergence of new rich in developing countries and middle class women
Kinship and Gender
What differences does Kinship difference make?
- What difference does different kind principles make to gender roles and
- How do individuals in different positions respond to kin rules and norms?