What is distinctively Catholic?
Philipians 2: 5-11
Creation is self-emptying
God empties himself by binding himself to his people of Israel
Week 7 (October 21-23)
Naming the Divine: The Nature of God
Reading: 1. Thomas P. Rausch, I Believe in God: A Reflection on the Apostles Creed
(Collegeville, MN: The Liturgical Press, 2008), pp. 31-54.
1. Name some examples
Week 17 (Jan 27-29)
The Church and World Religions
1. Second Vatican Council, Declaration on the Relation of the Church to Non- Christian
Religions (Nostra aetate):
January 6, 2014
Week 14 (January 6-8)
The Holy Spirit; God as Trinity
1. Rausch, I Believe in God, pp. 117-126; 157-161.
2. Catherine Mowry LaCugna, The Practical Trinity, Christian Century 109, no. 22 (July
Week 10 (Nov 11-13)
Who Was Jesus?
1. Gospel of Mark (complete in one sitting)
1. Who knows Jesus identity in the Gospel of Mark?
Not many know who Jesus is but they know Him as a mere miracle worker. Some ar
Week 22 (Mar 10-12)
Life and Death, War and Peace
1. What is the teaching of John Paul II in The Gospel of Life on capital punishment?
The Christian Tradition, from the beginning of time, has always recognised the instituti
Politics, Economic, and
The question arises if Jesus wanted the Gospel to become political
Jesus prophecy on the reign of God was deeply political
Second temple Judaism there is no difference from religion to politics
Render Unto Caesar what i
RELIGIOUS STUDIES 1027E
INTRODUCTION TO CATHOLIC CHRISTIANITY
SCHEDULE OF CLASSES AND READINGS*
What Is Theology?
Characteristics of Catholicism
No assigned reading for the first week of class.
Week 25 (Mar 31-Apr 2)
Contemporary Challenges: Catholic Perspectives on Sexuality
1. If you were asked to explain the meaning of chastity to a teen-aged audience, what
would you say?
If I were to explain the meaning of chas
Week 24 (Mar 24-26)
Contemporary Challenges: Womens Experience and the Church
1. How does John Paul II describe feminine genius? Do you concur that there is such a
John Paul II describes feminine genius in resp
How Does the Magisterium Teach?
1. Holy Spirit
o works through holy human actions
o pope/bishops need to listen to the peoples beliefs, concerns
o fully human reality
2. Infallibly & Non-Infallibly
o sometimes infallibly and sometimes not
only God (Trini
An Empty Comparison
Religious Studies 1027E
Dr. Mark Yenson
April 7, 2014
What gives us insight into what Jesus was/is?
How do we know about Jesus?
Josephus, Jewish, historian, ca.30-100 CE
Roman Governor, Pliny the Younger, ca. 110 CE
o conflict in his province with Christians
o tortures Christians for